Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brake lines (both hard lines underneath) are corroded and need replaced. This was also noted on the so-called "safety inspection" last year.

I went to the dealer to order them yesterday and the guy said he thinks they come in sections/lengths and I would have to bend as required and flare and install fittings myself.

My question is: is this normal? Has anyone ordered these from dealer? Do they come pre bent? I don't have bending/flaring tool and you can't rent jack$hite for car tools here in Germany.

I'd prefer to order pre bent lines, is this possible from anywhere else?

Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If it's just copper tubing you should be able to buy the size use a flaring tool flare it bend as desired and use the old fittings and you should be good to go.. Copper tubing is very cheap.. Flaring tool should be less than $20

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have purchased sections of brake lines (metric-for European cars) here in the US at a common parts store like AutoZone. They come in sections like 1,2,4,6 feet and have the fittings installed already (no flaring involved). The pre-measured sections sometimes were longer than I needed, so I used a tube bending tool to make loops in them (picture a roller coaster loop).
The trick is to buy the line with the right kind of flare. The other trick is to not pinch the line while you are bending it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm bumping this thread.

Has anyone replaced any fuel or brake system hard lines?

Are pre-bent lines not an option for either?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm $ure that pre-bent tube$ are among your option$, providing of cour$e you can find $ome. I'm al$o $ure that buying $ections (fitted for Euro car$) i$ a more economical choi$e.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.