Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brake lines .. quiz time

857 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  peZonator 
#1 ·
i have a 2009 slk350 and i am theoretically installing 2006 AMG 6 / 4 pot big brake set up ...

my question is .. if i am wanting to replace my brake lines with stainless steel versions, which model type do i buy for ??

e.g. do i buy a 2006 AMG kit or ???
do i buy a 2009 slk 350 kit

my guess is the first one ,

i spoke to an eBay supplier for GOODRIDGE and he said my first option would not fit ..
i look at it this way ,, since the 2006 has 340 mm discs and 6 pot calipers , the mounting brackets etc all swap over to fit my car , why would the brake lines not fit ??

so for those that have done a conversion or have some answers ,, post away

#2 ·
@peZonator - Brake lines, master cylinder and brake booster all appear to be the same between the SLK 350 and 55. I'm not sure what you are desiring to accomplish by trading out the original lines for SS, but MB uses very high quality steel lines that are more resistant to corrosion than many other manufacturers. I don't know if the roads in your area are treated with chemicals to melt snow/ice, but if not or minimally, you will not benefit much - if any, by swapping out the lines. It is a rather significant to swapping them all out. Replacing the rubber hoses that connect between the steel lines and the caliper with a much higher grade stainless weave and an improved inner liner would be worthwhile. Stock rubber lines (on all cars) will breakdown over time and will both close down inside (swelling) and also develop weak areas that will allow for the rubber line to bulge under high brake pressure. Either situations are compromising the brakes in a very negative way.

#6 ·
@mchild , thank you for the information .seems my question s has been misinterpreted as i have not explained myslef clearly .
i am wanting to change the rubber hose lines for stainless with all the associated benefits

good to know that they are all the same
I see. The hoses are the same between between the 350 and 55. Looks like StopTech (#950-40512) through Amazon may be the best pricing (at least here in the US).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.