Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know, I should probably be able to find the answer using 'search', but, I have been searching for over half an hour and I can't. So, can somebody please tell me the colour of the brake light wiring at the terminal block in the light cluster, I am adding illumination to a perspex wind restrictor that I managed to lay my grubby mits on!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,439 Posts
until someone replies, windrestrictor is very good at answering those questions and promptly too.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Put a bulb on a long lead, so you can see it and press the pedal at the same time, and trial it out!

But consider; if it is bright enough to be seen outside the car, it will be mighty bright inside the car.
Now if you lit the airvents in the hoops, this wold not impact the rear view from teh central mirror!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I contacted Steve Pennington at Windrestrictor via email as JBanks suggested regarding a brake light wiring schematic or directions to tie the lighted windrestrictor to the brake light; this is the reply I got:
"Hello, sorry we've never had any success with that. So, we prefer hooking up to a constant and using the remote control for dimming and on/off functions.
When we attempted to hardwire, we always got codes that came up on the dash."

So I am still looking to see if anyone out there has done this mod already and can save me from opening up wiring looms....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted Steve Pennington at Windrestrictor via email as JBanks suggested regarding a brake light wiring schematic or directions to tie the lighted windrestrictor to the brake light; this is the reply I got:
"Hello, sorry we've never had any success with that. So, we prefer hooking up to a constant and using the remote control for dimming and on/off functions.
When we attempted to hardwire, we always got codes that came up on the dash."

So I am still looking to see if anyone out there has done this mod already and can save me from opening up wiring looms....
Thanks for bringing this up again. However, I have since done the mod and it works a treat. As suggested, I did it with trial and error, but a brick took the place of a long wire and bulb! I put the brick on the brake pedal, found a suitable earth near the right hand rear light cluster for the negative wire and poked the positive down each connector on the terminal block until one of them lit up the wind restrictor! I then pushed the wire all the way in and taped to the rest of the wires so that it won't come out. Tah dah!

If you want the colour of the wire for the brake light, let me know, I wasn't too bothered what it was once I'd found it!

As for codes coming up on the dash, not on an R170, and no bulb failure warning either.

Once I have figured out how to upload photos, I will post one of it in operation...... chuffed to little mint balls with it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks, Paul.
Yes, please let me know if it is convenient what wires you ended up hooking into.

Todd

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do Todd, but it may be 2 or 3 days time as the car is garaged away from home and I won't be driving it until then.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No worries. Only at your convenience. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, please let me know if it is convenient what wires you ended up hooking into.

The positive wire is connected to (pushed into!) pin 3 (black/yellow wire) of the terminal block on the right hand light cluster. The ground is mounted under a nut around 6" inboard of the terminal block. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Paul-
thanks so much!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.