Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to have a look at this problem on my SLK320 / R170 / 2002 model.
My RHS brake light has failed and I have the warning indicator on the dash.

I would like to try to rectify this, but cant see how to remove the light assembly to correct the issues. Can somebody direct me to the removal method?

Thanks.:laugh:

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
514 Posts
I need to have a look at this problem on my SLK320 / R170 / 2002 model.
My RHS brake light has failed and I have the warning indicator on the dash.

I would like to try to rectify this, but cant see how to remove the light assembly to correct the issues. Can somebody direct me to the removal method?

Thanks.:laugh:
If you're looking for a 'how to' video, have a peek here :tu:

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
801 Posts
I didn't even get that wiggy

I just removed the inspection panel for the hydraulic roof pump ( behind that youtube clip owner's cd changer, at the bottom of shot, with a scoop handle visible) and went onward and upward from there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that. I have done the same thing, after locating the third nut at the top of the light by removing the upper trim.
I found where the nut was and then was able to reach it from below.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have now removed the brake light, with some finger contortions to reach the nuts, and have found the following:
1. The lamp holder was "welded" into place and could not be moved. I used a pair of multigrips and some brute force to loosen and move it.
2. The plastic had overheated (see burn spot on the picture below). I had to file the distorted plastic to allow the holder to be re-inserted.
3. The lamp was also blown.

In addition to actions above, I cleaned the burned rail, and also built the contacts up using solder. (See pictures below).
I tested the electrical connections using a multimeter, inserted a new bulb and re-attached the assembly to the vehicle (again with some awkwardness).
The warning light is off, and the brake light is working.
Time will tell how long this repair will last. If this does fail again, my "plan B" is to solder a wire to the faulty contact and make the electrical connection permanent.

Time taken approx 1.5 hours, as I had difficulties removing the welded on bulb holder, and I did not want to break the fitting.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for help. The car really is just a standard vehicle, and quite easy to work on, provided you do some homework first. This forum is excellent value. Who knows what this may have cost me if I had taken it to a repairer to fix!

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
514 Posts
Thanks to all for help. The car really is just a standard vehicle, and quite easy to work on, provided you do some homework first. This forum is excellent value. Who knows what this may have cost me if I had taken it to a repairer to fix!
The R170 was subject to a recall for it's faulty rear cluster, for exactly the same reasons your's is showing.

http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-service-campaigns-tsb/130241-tail-light-recall.html

MB was aware of the issue and in the US it paid for replacements, but only in the US I believe :crying:
The rest of us either pay for the improved clusters ourselves, or do what you've done.

Thanks for the write-up and pics :tu:

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
622 Posts
Always wondered what the grips were for in this OEM tool kit, now I know.

That really is a terribly dang nab it fiddly fitting to get out and then back in again.

Thank you posters, I was almost convinced I had to get an entirely new (second hand) light for a day or so, was in the middle of writing an email going looking for a price on one then I thought...'I should double check'...

Same thing here, plastic under the connection melted - current fix is to simply bend the connection back up a bit (2-4 millimeters) safely away from the plastic probably wont last but who knows, might be lucky.

Not happy with Mercedes today especially as I bumped my head on the the boot latch on the way out of there after a frustrating 15 minutes.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.