Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Brake light has got so hot it has burnt a hole in the metal contact and actually melted the plastic lens!! . Where the plastic holds onto the metal plate has melted meaning there is quite a gap when the bulb holder is fitted. So I have temp fixed it by freeing the metal from the plastic holder and it works.
But I need a new lens.
My options are
Buy second hand ( will have to see lens before I buy it). Think I would prefer to get new lens to get a bit of a guarantee .

Europarts have them for £84 for one side
Think Mercedes lens are about £140 per side
Or try LED light set up witch I found for £148 a pair. But they where smoked and I would prefer normal red ones
My question is has anyone tried the eurparts lenses and If I go down the LED route will I need to mess with the wires to get them to work.
cheers
Keith

·
Registered
150 Posts
In most cases the LED taillight will only be for the brakelights and when the headlights/parking lights are on. Will still need to use original signal (yellow), back-up light and back fog light. The LED taillights come with a load resistor box (for each side). Pretty much plug and play. I did put an extreme white LED bulb for back-up lights. It sets off the bulb out indicator light until you take it out of reverse. No problem here, I am usually looking back when I am backing up (not at my dash). I did get the smoke ones but there other choices like non-smoke and AMG style (red parts are smoked and the rest are clear (signal and back-up).

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Reactions: BlanPrivate

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@BlanPrivate - Keith, have you seen this thread?...
http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-service-campaigns-tsb/130241-tail-light-recall.html

Not sure whether this is the same issue you've had, or whether you still have any chance of getting MB to rectify it for you if it is... If it is the same issue, I'd certainly be trying (armed with a printed copy of the recall notice). :tu:
Thanks Dave :wink:

This sounds very much like what has happened to my lights as the brake light has deformed the socket and my vin does seem to be in the recall numbers.
But I thought this didn't apply to UK owners . Might be worth a visit tomorrow find out.

Thanks to Joeb77 . I am still considering getting the led lights as they would be cheaper then a set of normal lights. But if I can get MB to do them for free then all the better lol :laugh:
Cheers
Keith

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all

MB said NO. No recall in UK for R170 SLK :( .
So I asked them how much the lens was in the parts department.
£105 with 2 year guarantee!! And on shelf too
Call me mad but I snapped one up . Lens comes with bulbs and holders!! BONUS
While I was there I asked about boot gas struts. He said £11.50 each and in stock so I snapped them up too.
I have seen them on the internet for about £12 for a pair plus postage so I didn't think this was too bad .
Just a quick note on the lens. They have changed them around the brake light . It looks like the bulb holder actually locks onto the metal rather than the plastic. Looks a better design to me. I guess only time will tell.
When it stops raining I will fit.
cheers
Keith

·
*Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG
522 Posts
Thanks Dave :wink:

This sounds very much like what has happened to my lights as the brake light has deformed the socket and my vin does seem to be in the recall numbers.
But I thought this didn't apply to UK owners . Might be worth a visit tomorrow find out.

Thanks to Joeb77 . I am still considering getting the led lights as they would be cheaper then a set of normal lights. But if I can get MB to do them for free then all the better lol :laugh:
Cheers
Keith
Keith, the recall notice didn't apply to UK cars regardless of VIN numbers. My point is, if the problem existed, and it obviously did in your case, why couldn't the cars be recalled and fixed regardless of which country they were exported to ?

·
*Registered
2008 SLK280
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My local independent MB garage told me that it was a common problem if you do not use Osram bulbs, as cheaper bulbs run too hot.

I ended up getting a complete new fitting as well.
Well I told my local MB and they said " never heard of that problem before " . And they would fix the problem!!. If I pay of course :surprise:. So my question is . Why did they have new parts in stock and obviously changed the design of the fault too.
MB probably think that the UK is too cold for the lights to get too hot!! So no recall lol
Cheers
Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.