Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
No. That is only a feature of the R172 generation or other models, but not your
13 year old baby

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Jbanks,

Thanks for the video but now I am worried. The wife has the car at the moment but an hour ago I backed it up my driveway and got too close to the garage door. I put it in neutral to let it coast downhill a couple feet and it would not move freely. I put it in Drive and it moved at idle then back to N and it stopped again. I have the previous owners service records. This Jan the front pads were replaced by a MB dealer and the rotors were fine. Could the calipers be set too tight?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
Not a r170 expert and i am sure they will check in
the emergency brake still on? maybe it did not release?

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
Faster,

There are a number of situations that could keep the car from easily rolling while in neutral.

A wheel caliper could be seized and not fully releasing when you let off the brake pedal. (Note: there is no adjustment for calipers) Sometimes when this is the situation the brakes will feel rather sensitive when under normal driving and braking. Just a little press of the pedal and the brakes are on right now kind of feel. This is not always the case. Best way to check for this is to get the car up in the air and see if any of the wheels do not rotate easily. They should all rotate by hand with about the same amount of effort.

The next thing could be with the hand brake. Either one or both have been over adjusted and are always on to some extent. One could be binding up and not fully releasing (brake hardware is the issue here). Additionally, the hand brakes are applied by a cable that is pulled when you apply the hand brake. That cable could be binding up and since it is not sliding easily it is keeping the hand brakes from fully releasing.

Next is a worn wheel bearing which is keeping that wheel from rotating easily.

All of these are fairly easy to check by a competent mechanic. Good luck and let us know what you find the issue to be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Mchild,

Thanks for the analysis and you covered all the bases.
As it turns out....it was operator error.... I think the hand brake was pulled up just a little. :frown: You and Jbanks both got me on that one.
I tried the same scenario again on the driveway and the SLK rolled free and easy. Took a 30 minute trip out to feed the horses and checked all 4 wheels for high heat from a dragging brake or worn bearing. All were warm not hot and all felt about the same and no strange noises driving down a narrow alley with buildings on both sides.
Thanks again guys. :smile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.