Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this has been addressed, I'll have to take my lumps because the search feature doesn't seem to work on the mobile version (iPhone5).
Today I tested my brake fluid using two different methods. The electronic device supposedly measures water content. The results say mine is >4%., above the maximum percentage allowable and in dire need of attention. The other method is a test strip that measures copper corrosion. Mine was within the acceptable range, being between 30 and 100 ppm. I've never seen copper parts in any brake system I've worked on but anyway whatever.

I know that in any service manual that I've cared enough to care about, there is a recommended interval. I have no records indicating it's ever been done to my 05 350. I'm leaning towards doing it soon. I'm sure with this car there will be unexpected surprises and things I haven't experienced (I've replaced entire brake systems on VWs). I'm hoping this will be a 'simple' matter of obtaining the right type, flushing out the old fluid, refilling, and bleeding one circuit at a time. Do any of you afficiandos out there have anything to say? Advice? Comments? General hazing? Thanking you in advance and I would expect a moderator to move this thread if appropriate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,406 Posts
. . . . .
Thanking you in advance and I would expect a moderator to move this thread if appropriate.
Thread moved, as you suspected. :D

I can't answer your question though, but hope someone who can we be along shortly...

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,060 Posts
If this has been addressed, I'll have to take my lumps because the search feature doesn't seem to work on the mobile version (iPhone5).
Today I tested my brake fluid using two different methods. The electronic device supposedly measures water content. The results say mine is >4%., above the maximum percentage allowable and in dire need of attention. The other method is a test strip that measures copper corrosion. Mine was within the acceptable range, being between 30 and 100 ppm. I've never seen copper parts in any brake system I've worked on but anyway whatever.

I know that in any service manual that I've cared enough to care about, there is a recommended interval. I have no records indicating it's ever been done to my 05 350. I'm leaning towards doing it soon. I'm sure with this car there will be unexpected surprises and things I haven't experienced (I've replaced entire brake systems on VWs). I'm hoping this will be a 'simple' matter of obtaining the right type, flushing out the old fluid, refilling, and bleeding one circuit at a time. Do any of you afficiandos out there have anything to say? Advice? Comments? General hazing? Thanking you in advance and I would expect a moderator to move this thread if appropriate.

The electronic water droplet tester is normaly pretty good to go by as an indication of the state of your brake fluid etc
And also if your car has not had a fluid flush since you have owned her .
Id say yep its time for a brake fluid change .

Buy your self a brake fluid suction tool it will make life so much easier when doing the job .

As for the strip bin it .

Your looking for micro water deposits that accumalate over the years in the fluid system. :nerd:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,135 Posts
General Hazing :) you're about eight years late changing the fluid.

I second the motion to use a pressure bleeder, much easier than the old two-person way, and works great on our cars. I bought a Motive Power Bleeder kit, but you can make a similar kit from common components if you're patient and into maker/fabrication lifestyle.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure where my thread got mived to so I may just be spitting into the wind but....

I have used a one person bleed device with great success (and a few expletives). I've long wanted the suction device so now I have a good excuse-thanks for that.

As for the hazing.....I am only six months behind. The PO was 7.5 years behind! Of course now he's 8 years ahead in his new Beemer. Ah.....the joy of buying used cars!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,151 Posts
thread moved to where it is now
tires, brakes, suspension and wheels
you found it here :d
read the section name :D

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
801 Posts
a change is a as good as a rest, or, arrest

I will set the hydraulic fluid feds on you if you don't change it Roxy.>:D
Even the test results shouldn't stop you, as the critical thing is you have no evidence that it has been done during the life of the car.
I do ours every two or three years. That's long enough.

I also have a ****on's Eazi-Bleed. I have also used it with great success on my old Beemer and my SL. I think there might be a bit more magic involved with the ABS pump system on these more modern SLK's. Either way, it's not worth the risk. Either do it, or have it done soon.:surprise:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will set the hydraulic fluid feds on you if you don't change it Roxy.
Anything but the moderators please I Beg you!

I also have a ****on's Eazi-Bleed.
Did you **** that word or is it naughty? Just curious. Maybe it's a woulda coulda shoulda sponsor and they didn't pay to play.

I think there might be a bit more magic involved with the ABS pump system on these more modern SLK's.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of. There is such a thing as making a bad situation worse.

When I'm not busy hunting wabbits I love to work on my own cars. Problem is, I hunt wanbits, A LOT!
And of course the SLK is about third in line for time/attention.

I suppose I need some schooling (crap here it comes). If I thread gets moved, is it a naughty naughty no no to continue to post to the same thread in its original location?

And thanks to the user who "did theirs" and posted a link. I shall read up on it post haste!

·
801 Posts
I see what happened there

the firm's name is synonymous with Firearms. Just think son-of-g** and then back-form it.

Dangnabbit, I've had one of those for over 30 years, and no-one, not even a computer has taken umbrage at it until now.>:D

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,511 Posts
Big guy, change your fluid ASAP. You do not want to know how much it cost to R&R the brake system of your car. Even if you have to pay somebody about $100 to do it – get it done now.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Local MB dealership has a "fixed" menu item for changing out the brake fluid every 2 years. IIRC it was less than $100.
Moreover, this is an important/essential safety item. I would drain out, pressure flush the system as others suggested.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think for $100 I'm just going to take it in. It would cost much more than that to pay myself for labor. Plus, I'd need paid breaks, a paid lunch period, paid holidays, etc. there's no way I could afford me.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I think for $100 I'm just going to take it in. It would cost much more than that to pay myself for labor. Plus, I'd need paid breaks, a paid lunch period, paid holidays, etc. there's no way I could afford me.
Just checked the service order receipt:

Renew brake fluid special
9064 CPM 0.50 (labor cost) $83.45
Brake fluid 000-989-08-07-01 $16.50

total $99.95

Ask the service advisor for the brake fluid special (as there is a special code for them to enter to get a fixed menu price)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's funny-the special? Like, as opposed to the regular? I will do that but it feels funny-like I'm ordering the breakfast special at Denny's.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK so I did what I should have done to begin with-call MB and ask them to look t service history. Just bc I don't remember seeing it in the records the PO provided doesn't mean it wasn't in there. My brake fluid (05 350) was last changed in 10/13. So it looks like I'm not 7.5 yrs behind after all. Since a two year interval is recommended, and since it's a mere $140 to have it done, I will be taking her in this coming Monday.

·
801 Posts
hydraulic fluid feds.....called-off and stood down

Glad you saw the path to true enlightenment Roxy. I would have hated for them to get wiggy with youCop

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.