Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This went out on me today, wondering if anybody knows if this is an easy replacement or if I should go to a shop?

Looks like the brake booster, not 100% on that, can prolly get a pic up if you need.

UPDATE:

See Conversation Below

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,402 Posts
moving to the r170 general discussion section

The diy section is for already made diys
Someone will respond if they can assist

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JBanks.

Looks like the booster. I already have a good reference for shop from another benz owner, so hopefully it won't be to pricey if I have to take it in.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Can you post a pic? Are you referring to the master cylinder right under the brake fluid reservoir? That should be a doable DIY. Just need to pump the brakes properly after that to push all the air in the system out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, so just got back from the mechanic. Looks like I got a couple of issues. But the fluid was not brake fluid. It was power steering, the power steering hose is $30 to install, so no biggie there. But it doers have the MAF sensor issue, where the oil leaked on that. But I can afford the repair. The mechanic was awesome. Looks like it's safe to drive til I get the repair to. That was my main concern.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Hope I did this right
There is a thread here where this is diagnosed as being the vacuum pump. (ie provide the vacuum for the brake servo, item 20 on your diagram)
But it does seem strange that this is on some cars, but not on others.
And I seem to remember a unit looking similar to item 240 in my car.
So I plan to get back under the bonnet to check.
Watch this space...

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
This went out on me today, wondering if anybody knows if this is an easy replacement or if I should go to a shop?

Looks like the brake booster, not 100% on that, can prolly get a pic up if you need.
And now I read the question... :rolleyes:

"Went out on me today"? Double dating?
What symptoms are there?
How do you know this unit is failed?

OK, so just got back from the mechanic. Looks like I got a couple of issues. But the fluid was not brake fluid. It was power steering, the power steering hose is $30 to install, so no biggie there. But it doers have the MAF sensor issue, where the oil leaked on that. But I can afford the repair. The mechanic was awesome. Looks like it's safe to drive til I get the repair to. That was my main concern.
It is common for the oil from the crankcase breather to be in the MAF; this does affect performance and smoothness. And being downstream of the Kompressor, the positive air pressure can force air (and hence oil) out and around.
If your MAF is oily on the inside, then the MAF is being compromised by the oil; you need to clean it (no silicon spray, please). Really easy to do, takes a few minutes.
You also need to think about the oil breather system. There is a thread here (Thanks to Jayson for the easy-to-find link) about how to do it.

But I'm answering questions that I've guessed from your comments; what is the actual issue you needed to visit the mechanic about?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So its's looking the the issue is going to be that MAF. The mechanic said he was going to repair the oil leak and clean everything. Going back today for the power steering hose. It's idling at like 13. So he reset my idle and after a few it started going up again. Then after I drive it the idle fluctuates. not exactly a mechanic myself though. But this mechanic came highly recommended.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
So its's looking the the issue is going to be that MAF. The mechanic said he was going to repair the oil leak and clean everything. Going back today for the power steering hose. It's idling at like 13. So he reset my idle and after a few it started going up again. Then after I drive it the idle fluctuates. not exactly a mechanic myself though. But this mechanic came highly recommended.
OK, sounds like you need to start with the MAF, but I wonder if you have some hose leakage, letting in air. If teh ECU detects things are not working correctly, it tends to increase the tickover to a safe (non-stalling) value.
Curing the pollution of the MAF has two stages; cleaning the MAF itself is quick and simple; cleaning the ducts etc upstream of the MAF is probably best done by nature, once the source is cured.
But the second stage is to get the crancase breather working properly (both low-stage and high stage) and that's a bit harder.
Happy mechanicing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, the Idle seems to have gone back to normal. I am taking it in for full service in a week or 2. Looks like the power steering leak is on a pressure line and is very small. I'm gonna get all fixed at once. Really liking the mechanic so I'll have him take care of it all. You guys are great though. Was gonna take a picture later of the leaky power steering area and post it.

So far happy with the car though. Drove it about 80 miles yesterday and it ran fine the whole time.

Going to update the thread title appropriate, besides my bad grammar, the brakes are not the issue, they are fine.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the car is with the mechanic. Getting a power steering line replaced, Some kind of oil seal, the mechanic will be cleaning out the intercooler and replacing the MAF. ANd it looks like the back breaks are getting replaced too.

Luckily this guy has reasonable pricing.

Once this is all done I'll be looking into some new lights and that smart top mod.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Brakes :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just picked her up. Running perfect. So smooth. And they replaced a brake light on the house.

They did the power steering line, replaced the MAF, cleaned out the intercooler, and replaced the back brakes.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Just picked her up. Running perfect. So smooth. And they replaced a brake light on the house.

They did the power steering line, replaced the MAF, cleaned out the intercooler, and replaced the back brakes.
Good to hear, mate.
When the money produces results, it is well spent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.