Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

Has anyone had this issue:

When is slow traffic, the Brakes make a weird noise - it seems like a fluid gurgling, bubbling liquid noise.

I've got the brake pads and disc changed before I purchased the car. It seems like the fluid may need checking, or could it be something more serious?

I've had a search on the forum, but cant find anything similar...

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I haven't had the chance to check the colour of the fluid... what colour should it be? I'm guessing light?

Efair: it only happens in slow braking... slow moving traffic

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Try to isolate it these ways:

- Car moving vs. not moving?
- Engine running vs. not running?

Obviously, you can't test "car moving, engine not running".

Hint: when you test with the engine off, try to deplete any vacuum reserve by pressing and releasing the brake pedal a few times before you actually test.

Have you listened under the hood/bonnet while another person recreates the noise?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cant see signs of losing brake fluid... no patches on garage floor... I guess a more detailed investigation from under the car would be better... but then i have to see my mechanic..

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Check the fluid reservoir -- my theory (guess) being that the master cylinder is leaking brake fluid into the brake booster, and when you apply the brakes that fluid is causing the noise. It's just a theory.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Are you sure it is the brake fluid making the noise? Several years ago there were a few models of Mercedes that had a climate control system that often made a gurgling sound. Can't remember what the fix was and I don't think I ever recall the SLK's being affected, but it's just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I very much doubt he is hearing brake fluid gurgling noise as id say the human ear could not pick up that kinda noise up .
While driving amongst road conditions amongst other noises .
Id imagine it maybe water coolant noise or other noises etc .

Not brake fluid .

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
Or water inside the door or rocker panel... sure. But the OP said "brake fluid".

I agree brake fluid does it's job silently in normal circumstances... And hardly ever makes noise when something's wrong. But have you ever heard what a brake booster sounds like when the diaphragm is compromised? Well imagine if it had errant brake fluid in it too...

I admit it was a wild guess.

Ahsanist, please post back how you resolved this!

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
On the 170 it is a common thing when you lightly brake in traffic and in drive the car wants to move forward as it in gear .
With a light depression on the brake pedal it can make a odd vibrating odd type noise poss a gurgling noise ?
Is that what he is hearing .?

A brake servo can make a noise / master cyl / abs pump or a valve or the servo pipe ( if fractured )
When the brake pedal is depressed .

Brake fluid gurgling you wont hear .
Brake fluid cant make noise thats audidble while driving .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Deculas, it may be what you are refering too... in slow traffic / braking the car feels like it wants to move forward as if the breaks are being compromised. I can feel it in the pedal so definitely the breaks... but not sure if its the fluid or the servo, pump or cylinder... but it sounds like a fluid type of noise, but also like - if you rub your finger on wet glass, type of noise...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts