Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I had a search on the forum but couldn't find anything relevant, has anyone ever tried adding cooling ducts for the brakes on their r170?

I thinking of cutting some holes in the bumper on the outside of the fog lamps and fitting some ducts from there to the front brakes, or seeing if i can run some ducts from behind the bottom of the bumper below the front number plate. I haven't worked out a route yet.

Has anyone done this? Is there space behind that bottom grille (i've not looked yet), most people seem to aim the ducts towards the discs, is there any benefit to routing them so they get the calipers too?

When i'm out with my friends in their 55's I always end up boiling my brakes so someway to cool them down would be great, although i suppose if I fitted paddleshifters and used the gears more for braking that would eliminate the root cause of the problem!

Thanks,

Dez

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
141 Posts
Hi all,

I had a search on the forum but couldn't find anything relevant, has anyone ever tried adding cooling ducts for the brakes on their r170?

I thinking of cutting some holes in the bumper on the outside of the fog lamps and fitting some ducts from there to the front brakes, or seeing if i can run some ducts from behind the bottom of the bumper below the front number plate. I haven't worked out a route yet.

Has anyone done this? Is there space behind that bottom grille (i've not looked yet), most people seem to aim the ducts towards the discs, is there any benefit to routing them so they get the calipers too?

When i'm out with my friends in their 55's I always end up boiling my brakes so someway to cool them down would be great, although i suppose if I fitted paddleshifters and used the gears more for braking that would eliminate the root cause of the problem!

Thanks,

Dez

Easier to get a 55 Dez lol

Or maybe an even better investment one of these, another member who was at the AMG meet recently is selling it:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201806267852559

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,218 Posts
Dez, you using every day brake fluid?
You can get racing brake fluid, less likely to boil.
No idea on cost, but it has to be replaced more often.
It loves water even more than the normal stuff.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you do that Dez you might like to consider some gauze, or a removable cover.

Least thing you want is debris getting into the brakes.
Yeah, I'd thought along similar lines, so either gauze over the inlets to stop bugs etc from getting in or at the other end. At the intake end would be better for ease of cleaning. Maybe it would be best having the vents on the wings, just use the effect of the passing air to suck the hot air & dust away instead. I might see if I can find some engineers at work who design the braking systems and see what they suggest

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dez, you using every day brake fluid?
You can get racing brake fluid, less likely to boil.
No idea on cost, but it has to be replaced more often.
It loves water even more than the normal stuff.
I'm going to whip the calipers off and paint them when the weather turns so thought that would be a good opportunity to swap the 4 for 5.1 :)

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try something like this , with braided lines and better brake fluid
I'd thought about discs, pads and lines, but the fronts were replaced last year, the rears were done about 3 months ago aswell as the lines being replaced for the MOT.

If I'd thought about it at the time then I should have bought all the performance kit rather than standard really, but unfortunately didn't :/

As you know Pete, I'll generally upgrade bits on the car with only the slightest excuse (hence the angel eye headlights, led rear lights, custom exhaust and adjustable suspension lol) but I can't justify replacing the discs while the previous ones aren't even slightly worn so, other than the fluid, I think the only option left is additional venting to help stop the cause of the heat in the first place.

Although, as the calipers need sandblasting and repainting anyway, if anyone knew of some bigger calipers that would fit, I'd be interested in those, although I guess bigger calipers would be likely need bigger discs too?

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dez - Take an Aspirin.
How's that going to help my brakes cool down?

Besides, I've got some willow trees in my forest :D

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why cut the bumper?
Your model has removeable inserts, differerent between 230s and 320s.
Why not put the ducts in the inserts so it is reversable?
That's a good point Pictor, I'd not thought of that, do you know how they pop out?

Although, if I cut the bumper and it goes badly, that will give me an excuse to get a new bumper :D

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not a techie, but how about bigger brakes.
I guess the brakes from a 32 would fit? Any one any idea what else might be a straight swap without too much messing about?

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
800 Posts
i was ogling some very very fast racing cars last weekend

most of which had airflow brake cooling. The set up was almost universally similar for all of them. Hole in front bodywork somewhere, in full flow of the airstream, about 10cm diameter. Reinforced flexible hose from there back to the discs , where they fit on to a "shroud" which sits on the hub just like a brake caliper. These things were alloy, and flowed the air equally to both sides of the disc. which makes a lot of sense. So you have to have enough flexihose and clearance to allow for full steering movement left to right, and full suspension travel at each extreme as well, and be able to mount the output fitting on to the hub.

This sounds

a) complex
b) expensive
c) an MOT nightmare.

I'll scoot up some pics later in the weekend. or maybe consider water cooling like the racing trucks use.:nerd:

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dez - Do you really mean 'boiling', ie bubbles in fluid and huge pedal travel, or just brake fade?
Yeah, brake fade, squeals like a pig and stinks like a motherfudger lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts