Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
nope...special paint is available for just that purpose-there are also co's that sell caliper covers that are colored that double as brake dust shields...

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Anyone found callipers covers in the UK that will fit a '55' ?
I found some on ebay (red). SLK is listed as a fit but not the SLK 55

·
Registered
579 Posts
These are mine that I did. Gm ppg red....6 hours of grinding the the cast marks out, sanding them, priming them, sanding them, scuff padding them, than paint. After that, throw them on, add the stainless steel lines, bleed brakes, add the custom made decals.

Attachments

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
These are mine that I did. Gm ppg red....6 hours of grinding the the cast marks out, sanding them, priming them, sanding them, scuff padding them, than paint. After that, throw them on, add the stainless steel lines, bleed brakes, add the custom made decals.
Nice job on the decals. Do you go over those again with clear after they are on?

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,917 Posts
Looking good Bradley. Nice to see a young man take pride in his ride.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Looking good Bradley. Nice to see a young man take pride in his ride.
Thank you! I take so much pride in it! I have well over 600 hours in it. That's why she is locked in the garage for the winter. This is my new $700 winter truck. 1989 Dodge dakota 2wd....about 14mpg. I miss the slk so much.... 20 some mpg..power windows, great pick up! ahhhhh can't wait till it gets warmer and all that salt is off the roads!

Attachments

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Drilled brakes are no good for daily driving Jon.
Education time for the young

there are a few reasons drilled rotors make sense. The first is heat. When the brake pad grabs the rotor, it creates friction, which creates heat. If that heat can't escape, it leads to brake fade, which reduces the brakes' stopping power. The second reason is gas build up. This actually isn't much of a problem any more; however, the materials used in some older types of brake pads caused gas to build up between the rotors and pads. That gas also limited stopping power. The last reason is water. If a car drives through a puddle, a carwash or even a rainstorm, the brake rotors can get wet. A wet brake rotor is slippery and difficult for the brake pads to grab. Having drilled holes on a brake rotor makes it easy for heat, gas and water to be quickly moved away from the rotor surface, keeping the brake performance strong.

Slotted brake rotors aren't perfect. They tend to wear down brake pads very quickly. Because of this, the most common type of performance brake rotors found on production performance cars are of the drilled variety. While that type of construction is seen as too weak for racing applications, most everyday drivers should have no trouble with drilled rotors on their street cars and can save the slotted rotors for cars that are racetrack-bound.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.