Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, I love that there is an entire section dedicated to thoes folks that like to up spec the car with some brightwork. :grin: Far be it for me to judge, (I've been guilty of it in the past too...) but I regularly rib a freind of mine who's gone to great lengths to make his Audi A5 SE, look like an Audi A5 S-Line and failed. Hehe.

The point of this post is specifically relating to Brabus badging. What modifications would actually constitute Brabus badging on the back of a car?

I'm interested in the Brabus engine chip for my 250 CDI. Would it be bad form to stick badges on the car when it only has an engine chip (removing the "SLK250" and "CDI" badges of course) or should they be reserved for the full fat conversions with new engines, wheels, breaks, body kits etc etc?

Oppinions welcome :)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,723 Posts
Hi All

YES

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Firstly, I love that there is an entire section dedicated to thoes folks that like to up spec the car with some brightwork. :grin: Far be it for me to judge, (I've been guilty of it in the past too...) but I regularly rib a freind of mine who's gone to great lengths to make his Audi A5 SE, look like an Audi A5 S-Line and failed. Hehe.

The point of this post is specifically relating to Brabus badging. What modifications would actually constitute Brabus badging on the back of a car?

I'm interested in the Brabus engine chip for my 250 CDI. Would it be bad form to stick badges on the car when it only has an engine chip (removing the "SLK250" and "CDI" badges of course) or should they be reserved for the full fat conversions with new engines, wheels, breaks, body kits etc etc?

There is no rule. I used to have a Kleemann tune on my 350 but never got the Kleemann badge. I just didn't want to pay extra for it. At least you'' have one Brabus modification instead of none. Some people consider the badge itself a modification.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Question I would ask is why (5 times actually)? Are you ashamed of SLK250 and CDI badges? Don't think so so why? Be proud, you have an amazing car and no one can deny it.

·
Banned
433 Posts
nobody could deny that you would have a right to put on a "tuned by Brabus" type emblem/sticker, but taking everything off except for a Brabus emblem seems a bit much

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
nobody could deny that you would have a right to put on a "tuned by Brabus" type emblem/sticker, but taking everything off except for a Brabus emblem seems a bit much
I missed the part about taking the other badges off. I agree with bumpa2. I would add the Brabus badge but not take off the others. Or you could take all the badges off except for the MB star for a clean shaved look (and not add the Brabus badge).

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,123 Posts
saw a black SLK 171 yesterday... thought it looked odd, though could not decide quite why... then as I looked closer, I realised the owner had removed all badges ..

this did nothing to improve the car..in my view, quite the reverse..:frown:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Horses for courses I suppose. I've long prefered cars without badging on them. I tend to think they look cleaner. And I have no shame in the SLK or CDI badging on my car. If I felt at all ashamed, i wouldn't have bought it. :p

The idea of removing the MB badging before adding the Brabus one is so that I dont end up with just a string of chrome lettering running the entire width of the boot lip. :grin:

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,023 Posts
I had the badging removed from my 55 (except the centre star) - -looks cleaner IMHO, and now one knows whats under the hood from a casual glance (ok, the rest of the car gives it away, but only if you know your MB's)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It's actually part of the upgrade. In the box is a set of badges that say "Brabus" and "D4". When you spend £1600 on your tuning box they take the SLK 250 CDi badges off and offer to put the Brabus ones on for you. So, the etiquette is clear. You have a Brabus tuned car, you are entitled to put the official badges on it.

·
Banned
974 Posts

Badges at front & rear tell everybody you own a Mercedes. Few are bothered whether its an SLK so that's one superfluous bit of jewellery. If you own a basic 200 or a diesel do you REALLY want or NEED to tell everybody that? That's 2 more badges to be dumped. Even fewer have any idea what 55 means, so that's the most meaningless badge of all. AMG/Brabus/V8 badges etc are about showing off which the manufacturer endorses & encourages, being clever enough to know that many buyers need to have their egos massaged - bless 'em (the owners I mean not the manufacturers).
Minimum badging = subtlety, the route for those who don't need a substitute or a crutch in order to be noticed, respected or approved of.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also vote for clean and smooth. Removing the badging from the rear of the car will be one of the first mods I will do.

Why I need SLK 55 AMG on the back of my car? From design point of view I don't like the chrome on the black paint and it distracts you when admiring the beautiful shape, people who know their MB's will know model, type (and maybe year) without it and people who don't know their MB's anyway don't care.
So, three reasons (for me) to take it off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Badges

When I lived out in LA, I often would drive thru Beverly Hills or Hollywood on the weekends and often saw Brabus badged Benzes and other cool toyz. If they were sitting still, it was usually easy to tell the posers from the real deal by examining the brakes and wheels and other subtle tell tales. At least in that section of town the posers were few and far between and it was not unusual to see a Brabus E-Klasse drag racing various other brands down Sunset on a Saturday evening between stop lights. Once saw a Ferrari tangle with one and get his clock cleaned. That is a sight to see (and hear) folks.

As an aside I once saw a M3 with custom carbon fibre BMW badges done up in Black Carbon and Yellow Phenolic material (as opposed to the usual sky-blue/white). Coolest badge I saw the whole time I was out there. For all I know it was on a 330i but it was sweet.

Irish

·
2007 SLK350 fastdawg
4,464 Posts
Around here, SLK's are the exception, other than a Benz, most have no clue. I say, if you got it, show it tastefully, especially since they will obviously be seeing your rear end! There's nothing much subtle about an slk! When I show the car during car show season, the hood is up along with the trunk, so people go searching around to see what kind of Benz it is. Even the guys in the show don't know often. I wish I had a tasteful side badge actually.

·
Registered 2009 SLK300
191 Posts
Since there are 20 or so new posters here seemingly on a daily basis this discussion of badging is always fun to read.
I own the SLK, a BMW and an Audi and read on different forums usually for about 6 months intensely around the time of purchase then settle in. My mods are few.
BMW the MSport packages are very good sellers and sometimes entitles the cars’ owner to enter “M” land as there are M logo on the shifter, door sill and steering wheel. No exterior badging. They are mistaken to think so.
I’m not AMG expert but on my AMG packaged SLK300 other than the wheels there are no AMG logo on the car inside or out.
I certainly would never dream of adding one. While my suspension is tuned by AMG there is no signature on the motor!!!
The question of deletion then becomes interesting. If I delete my SLK300 am I then hiding something?
I’m not a horsepower junkie (not saying there is anything wrong with that!!) but I do like a sporty driving dynamic. That’s my priority. No manual transmission on a AMG car.
The badges will stay on my SLK300 because I can give a rats ass about what others think but at the same time feel that a pretty car can tell the world what it is. I know my smalllish motor is not slow and rowing my own gears gives me great satisfaction as might someone with a larger displacement motor might give them in what ever form they want.
A clean well cared for car is a sign of self respect and the smile on our faces is the reward enough. My only shame is the AMG wheels and ground effects make the look better than it should? LOL. Fact is I like the split non AMG bumper best!
I don’t care there is AMG on the wheel, the 16 spoke rim is pretty!!
We are enjoying our new to us SLK beyond our expectation!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.