Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gearing up for some rust preventative work under the car and saw this rusty thing, I dont think its the CAT, thats more central. So what is it and what does it do? Can I get rid of it completely for a straight through pipe and what is the result of doing so?

cheers

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,025 Posts
resonator?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm going to agree with jbanks on this one. it appears to be a resonator of some sort, or maybe an additional muffler? either way, you should have no adverse effects with removing it, other than a different exhaust note. without seeing a larger picture of your exhaust system it's hard to say specifically how your exhaust note might change though. if you're looking for a "better" sound from your exhaust and performance gains aren't your goal, i would suggest/recommend removing the resonators/mufflers one by one, starting all the way rear of the car, once you have the sound you're looking for, stop and weld piping to match the factory shape.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Resonator.... so some kind of sound reduction thingy? Not after any type of improvement, this resonator is flaking and on its way out, so going to ditch it and see what happens.

Thanks Gents.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone have a clear photo of the std R170 system, the part number and online parts catalog please?

Cheers.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,025 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is a quiet storm at low revs, a lion cub roar, which is quite nice but nothing to write home about. For such quiet refined cars, it seems like sacrilege doing this to them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.