Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in a previous post, I was considering getting this 2004 SLK32 AMG that Carmax had.

My concern about the "hip room" of the AMG seats melted away. The seats were very FIRM, but rather comfortable...:rb

So I pulled the trigger! :)

The ride back down to Sarasota (from Carmax in Clearwater) was the most fun I ever had in a car (at least with my pants on). R)

When I stomped on the gas, it felt almost like the car was being pulled by some unseen magical force instead of an engine. Going fast around the curves, it felt like the car was stapled in place! :burnout:

At any rate, Carmax was nice enough to share their sales photos of my car and make a custom "page" for me. Which I can now share with you...

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/carmax-owner/default.html?sn=5977502&cust_id=183018&name=Oscar&loc_num=7172&year=2004&make=Mercedes-Benz&model=SLK Class&v_type=U&ref_type=1&purch_date=09-11-2009

UNFORTUNATELY, after picking the car up late on Friday, and doing almost NO driving on Saturday (due to excessive rain here in Florida), I managed to get in a wreck Sunday afternoon!! :mad::mad::(:(

It was 100% the other driver's fault. He was driving some sort of tall commercial van, pulled up behind me at a red light, forgot I was there, and didn't see me when the light turned green....

....CRUNCH! :mad:

Below is a bad cell phone camera shot of the damage. Although he really didn't hit me that hard, he managed to cave in my trunk a bit and break a tail light. Insurance adjuster/body shop put the damage at $2800... at least I don't have to pay for it.

So I'm driving a rental till at LEAST next friday... I hope the body shop doesn't screw it up.... :(:(

That's all for now... thanks for reading...

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Very sorry to hear and see oarias.

Remember you have a retractable hard top. I'd make sure it goes only to an MB approved body shop to make certain that not only the trunk lid is fixed according to specs but that a proper "take down" is done to check on damage to the bumper and its associated shock absorbing bits. AND that a proper evaluation of the retractable roof is done, including smooth operation and proper alignment. I would also get this in writing and that the work have a warranty (usually for as long as you own the vehicle).

Reactions: oarias

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Sorry to hear mate :(

but congrats on ur new car hope it gets fixed soon!

Reactions: oarias

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Echo what Eddy says 100% - have a MB shop do the work, and have them warranty that there is no damage to the roof structure.

(oh, and obviously, sorry to hear about your bad experience!!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Gosh sorry to hear about this Oarias - this sort of accident often occurs in my mind when driving my pride and joy - its must be horrible, but at least you're OK and your 32 will be up and running shortly. I concur with the others, make sure she has been properly looked after whilst she is in "hospital"!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
Congrats and also sorry. ditto the sentiments above. mb body shop only

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Glad you are ok!

Congrats on the car and what a bummer getting hit!

Keep us up to date.

SLKman

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Aww man! :eek I think you got some good advice as far as the repairs. Good luck and congratulations on the purchase! At least you know you love the car.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Sorry to hear that man! That is awful.

And out accelerated by a commercial van too! Ouch!

Seriously, though, I hope you can get the trunk aligned so there is no trouble with the top. I have been told by man benz shops that an SLK hit in the rear is usually a total loss as they never get everything to align and function well. I hope yours was minor enough.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry to hear that man! That is awful.

And out accelerated by a commercial van too! Ouch!
You know there was another car in front of me! :)

Seriously, though, I hope you can get the trunk aligned so there is no trouble with the top. I have been told by man benz shops that an SLK hit in the rear is usually a total loss as they never get everything to align and function well. I hope yours was minor enough.
Ack! Don't scare me! :(

I'm 99% certain that all will be fine, it really was minor.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So much for a quick and easy fix... it's getting on 3 weeks without the car now! :(

Unfortunately, the local Benz dealership here does not have a bodyshop. So I ended up taking it to one that had a good word of mouth reputation here in Sarasota (place called Corvette's West).

Well, after holding the car for almost two weeks, waiting for parts and what-not. They were unable to get the top to work after the bodywork was done. They didn't know how to fix it.. :(

They then moved the car to a German car shop here in town called "Renn Haus". THEY couldn't figure out what is wrong with the top. So my car got sent to local Benz dealership in the end...

I am tired of rental cars, I'm tired of idiots at work constantly asking "Where's your new car?" I'm madder than I can ever remember being, and there is NOTHING I can do about it. I almost want to cry every time I see another R170 SLK on the road...

I have read horror stories online about rear damage to SLK's, it makes me sick to my stomach that I may now have problems with the top the entire rest of the life of the car. I owe over $20K, and have not even made my first payment yet !! :( :(

Sorry about the rant, but I'm somewhat upset!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,361 Posts
if is good to rant. let it out! don't bottle it up! just think of the fun you will have when it is repaired. come on up to tampa and i will let you help me drive mine for 5 mins or so!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.