Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the boot lock on my 1998 SLK 230 Compressor. I can't open it with the key or central locking. Pushing the lock button does nothing. The rod mechanism inside the boot has become dislodged. This means I can't get inside the boot to pull out the flap so I can operate the electric roof. Is there any way I can get into the boot? If not is there a way that the roof can be taken taken down manually or do I have to get a tech to replace the lock and rods etc? Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The switch for the roof won't work because the flap in the boot needs to be pulled out so the roof mech works. I was wondering if there is any way into the boot? The rod for the boot lock has become dislodged or broken. Can the roof be taken down manually? When the roof is half erected you can access the boot and the lock from the other side.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,064 Posts
Can you access the control unit for your roof? If yes, could you try disconnecting or grounding the "partition closed" switch so it thinks the partition is closed -- and just open the roof enough to reach in and close the partition?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you access the control unit for your roof? If yes, could you try disconnecting or grounding the "partition closed" switch so it thinks the partition is closed -- and just open the roof enough to reach in and close the partition?
Thanks for your reply. I don't know where the control unit for the roof is. I spoke to a MB main dealer earlier and he said there are micro switches in the boot on the folding cover that can't be bypassed. The only thing to do is change the lock he said. Hmmm!!!

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
You cant even change the lock without opening the boot first How does he propose to do that. As we discussed m8 he is out to sting you for hundreds

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Ok, I knew there was a fix for it - the reason why it took me so long to find it was (not the obvious old age & senility), but the fact that it is on a different forum.

Click HERE, follow all the links as necessary, and your problems will be solved - without any steel butchery :)

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
22 Posts
There is a way, I you look at where the boot release handle is... there is a opening for a key in the lock. It's in the owners manual.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
22 Posts
Then the only way I can open it is to drill out the key barrel, and using a borescope and a especially bent wire or screwdriver to fit on the locks lever.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Then the only way I can open it is to drill out the key barrel, and using a borescope and a especially bent wire or screwdriver to fit on the locks lever.
The divider microswitch can be overridden via the fuses and allow the roof to open the he can stop it halfway and get access to the disconnected book lock.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
If you read the posts in this thread, you will see a solution has been found which does not require any drilling or cutting.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
22 Posts
I have tried to see what would be involved in removing the lock or accessing the lock while the boot is open for the roof.

For the lock. There are three star bolts two under the lip of the boot and one on the face. The bolt in the fascia is easy. the other two are very difficult to get to. You would need a very short star bit, and a spanner to fit to the underside. You need to support the boot lid, goes without saying...

The other way is to pop the panel fascia and get to the link rod, you cannot reach it without standing in the boot. which is very possibly dangerous as the roof mechanism could close unexpectedly if there is a fault.
Please let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
topcabbie

Hi, not a problem to gain access to the boot when the blind is closed and the boot lock fails to work. I have a year 2000 SLK 230 ( not sure about other years but worth looking at) This is what I did but I have to say you do it at your own risk, worked fine for me. and saved me £450
Open the bonnet and remove the large plastic cover that conceals the main wiring just next to the battery.
Look, and I mean LOOK! for the small GREY WIRE WITH A VIOLET TRACER. This normally is amongst the group of wires nearest the battery. NOT any other, not grey, not grey/blue HAS to be the grey and violet wire. get a needle, thread a thin wire into it and stick into this wire before it goes into the control box, hold or join the other end to earth.
Operate the hood now as normal and when the boot section is open then stop, disconnect wire, pull out the blind and then continue to operate roof.
This method does not cure the problem with the latch mechanism but does get you into your boot where a new part can be fitted and as long as the blind is out you can lower the roof

·
Registered
7 Posts
Boot trunk wont open Mercedes SLK

Topcabbie needs a medal. After reading the previous solution to this problem which I'm sure does work, I couldn't believe the simplicity of Topcabbies's solution.
By simply locating the grey/purple wire and earthing it,( in my case I carefully cut back some of the insulation of the wire then used electrical tape to repair the wire) it was possible to activate the roof therefore opening the boot to gain access to the faulty switch.
This has to be the best and simplest solution to a quite common problem.
As Topcabbie says, open the box next to the battery. Lots of wires in here but the first module (no idea what its real name is) plastic partition thing can be pulled out. The wire you need is one of the smaller ones towards one end of this unit. Luckily there doesn't seem to be many other wires with similar colors so identifying it shouldn't take too long and as i have said earlier just earth the wire out, I used the negative terminal on the battery as its nearby.
I will try to upload some pictures but I'm having difficulty with my laptop getting the images from my iphone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.