Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Light in boot /trunk is out. :confused:Bulb tests ok and new bulb also ok.
I've put a test light from the terminals to earth and it lights when connected to either of the terminals,but still no light!
Any idea what's going on. Should the test light come on showing power at both sides of the fitting?
Thanks

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,166 Posts
The boot light is constantly powered, so yes - normal for both terminals to be hot. Likely there is something wrong with the switch in the dome light. Are the rest of the interior lights on as expected?

·
Registered 2009 SLK300
54 Posts
The trunk light gods helped me. I bought an 03 SLK a little over a year ago. Use it daily. Trunk light did not work. Bulb
was good. Never took time to check it out. All other lights worked. Two days ago it started working on its own. I have no idea why.
The trunk gods have favored me the last few days.
The only remote idea I have is that over the week-end I changed motor mounts. Maybe when I jacked up the engine I
did something that caused a wire somewhere that has a break or bad connection to re-connect?
BTW, I do not recommend this as a repair practice for your trunk light.

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I first got my used 2001 SLK320, I also had the trunk light not lit. Replaced the bulb with an LED bulb, still did not work. While replacing my bulb found out that the wires were not connected to the posts of the bulb holder. fished around and finally found the wires. connected it and the bulb still did not light. Only when I pulled the shade and locked it in place (so the roof will go into the trunk) did the bulb light.

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,835 Posts
Have a feel of the foam around the pse and see if its damp.

I seem to remember having this issue some time before I discovered an inch of water in the tyre well and a very wet pse pump. Never made the association at the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just upgraded all my cabin and licence-plate lights to LEDs and encountered the same issue - old boot light was intact but not working, new LED likewise not working.

Cabin lights go on just fine when the boot is opened (so the microswitch controlling that side of things is hunky dory). My voltmeter shows 12V on both sides of the LED, which implies to me that one side needs to be pulled to ground by the electronics for this setup to work, yes? If I'm getting 12V on both sides though, that certainly suggests there isn't a wiring loom issue, right? (12V doesn't get there by magic).

Fails to work regardless of whether the roof-folding protector is in place or retracted - the position of the latter is properly controlling whether I can retract the roof so its microswitch is likewise ok. Behaviour doesn't change if I fiddle with the cabin light switch. PSE is already upside down and dry - must have been done years ago as looks original.

Having checked all the above, I notice all the remaining comments amounted to "it fixed itself". Can anyone suggest anything else I should check without getting too heroic or expensive? After all, it's just a boot light but...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.