Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I've been enjoying the weather in the UK and driving around with the hood down! Wondered though..... When I open my boot, it's really hard to pull it up! have to do it with both hands, is this normal? do I need new struts? can the ones I have be regassed?
Any help will be much appreciated :wink: Thanks in advance

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,562 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes, they can.
I have had the boot struts re-gassed on both my SLK's.
Cost for me was about $60 for both. That included removal and re-installation..

·
93,562 Posts
That's what I was saying :D :D :D
others on ebay/amazon cheaper i think

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
As Jeff says, no need to re-gas... lots of options available on eBay, from less than £20 a pair, delivered (perhaps cheaper than buying from SLKStore for us UK folk)... just search for something like "r171 boot struts" ;)

Jeff's already included a link to the excellent DIY thread to replace them! :tu:

·
Registered
24 Posts
As already stated don't bother regassing just replace but dont't buy the cheapest out there try and go for something mid range as there is alot of cheap Asian stuff on the market.

Replaced mine a while back but to be fair not much improvement, so dont know if i got duff ones or i just need to spend more time at the gym !!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Second and third that.....

Had to replace ours a few months ago for the same reason - that and because he lost a piece of skin off his forehead on the boot latch. I didn't laugh much, I promise. 😈😉

60 second job. Works like new. Cost about 20 quid. Bought the exact replacement part number and manufacturer as original from ebay. Didn't want to risk cheap or non-original parts cos thought it might be an important part of the roof mechanism and did not want to mess with that!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Second and third that.....

Had to replace ours a few months ago for the same reason - that and because he lost a piece of skin off his forehead on the boot latch. I didn't laugh much, I promise. 😈😉

60 second job. Works like new. Cost about 20 quid. Bought the exact replacement part number and manufacturer as original from ebay. Didn't want to risk cheap or non-original parts cos thought it might be an important part of the roof mechanism and did not want to mess with that!
Mmm looks like i did buy duff ones, where would i get the part number so i can try and get some that actually work , (cant stand the gym ) !!!

·
93,562 Posts
standby...

·
93,562 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
👆 what he said.

Was trying to beat the Sarge at getting you the part number. No chance.

I don't know how he does it so quickly 😥

·
93,562 Posts
was my number correct for a r170? :D

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like.
:wink:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cheers for that Col,
Great site (full of man stuff) they have uk made struts with 2yr warranty for under £14 each ,
No brainer compared to most ebay items .

Better get paypal working !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts