Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of fitting a boot rack to an R170?
I realise the weight might be an issue on dropping the roof on those dry days, but without too much on there I wouldn't have thought it would do any harm!
Does anyone have a experience of this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
No experience with them but I think it looks like crap to be honest. And not only on the SLK but on every roadster I see. A lot of MX5 and Z3 models around here have these racks on the back...

I have the roadsterbag set (2 bigger cases and 1 smaller one) with enough space for at least a week worths of clothing for 2 people. And all that while still being able to open the roof. What else could you need?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,

I have been having the same thoughts. I am going skiing with the SLK this winter and need to take my skis.
I have got a pair of magnetic ski pods which normally attach to the roof, but on the SLK the roof is too small to get the required distance between the bindings of the skis.
I have fitted it across the boot lid and fit the skis across the car. Fortunately both mine and the wifes skis are fairly short and do not extend any further than the wing mirrors.
I have driven the car at 100kph with this set up with no problems but have still to test it at autoroute speeds.
I will update when I have done a full test.

Not an ideal solution but the best I could manage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi,

Update on the ski rack across the boot lid.

We have just returned from Sierra Nevada in Spain and had no problems whatsoever with it.

We did over 3,000Km with the skis fitted at speeds of up to 150 kph and the skis did not move at all. They did not appear to affect the fuel consumption and there was no noticable extra wind noise.

The only problem we did notice is that it makes the boot lid very heavy and the gas struts will not hold the boot open with the skis attached.

Overall a good solution to the problem of going skiing with an SLK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.