Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so have spent a short amount of time with the new car (1 day only !!) and think I would like to do something with the roll bars - mine are black, I'm not keen on the plastic look. More importantly, I;m not that keen on the OE plastic bonnet grills - they look cheap to me. I know you can get chrome fins for them but does anyone know if there are complete replacement items available that are less plastic looking ??? Have searched the interweb-thingy and can't find anything. Was also thinking about carbon fibre replacement for the brushed silver interior but having spent some hours in there I've changed my mind.

thanks all

neil

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
The roll bar covers are easy to paint. I've had mine done Fire Opal Red, and there are people who've had them painted silver and even chrome.

To get at them you literally just undo one screw under the centre speaker blank on the rear firewall and then lever the cover off the roof deck. Once that's off you can use a trim tool to lever the rear roll bar covers off. They are hard plastic and take paint well according to the guy who does my spray painting work.

·
Banned
973 Posts
You may have noted that on the SL the bonnet grilles are chrome effect as standard & nicely mirror the chrome-effect side strakes across the awful black plastic dummy intakes. This model also has slivers of chrome-effect on top of the door handles.
After-market chrome effect covers for the SLK do look OE, but to be really picky they do stand very slightly proud. if I were doing mine again I would remove the adhesive tape & Superglue them. This would have ensured a real snug fit. The door handle covers are easy & well worth doing too.
Have resisted & always will resist sticking chrome-effect covers on the wing mirrors, a real no no.

·
Registered 2012 SLK200
5 Posts
I agree with Oldmercman the chrome bonnet fins on the SL look great and on an SLK just finish off the look. I put some on mine and if you take care applying them they look like original equipment. I bought mine from either Ebay or Amazon (can't remember which), not cheap at about £100 but much cheaper than M-B were asking.

·
*Registered
2011 SLK200
34 Posts
I have just taken off the chrome effect grill tops from the wife's SLK.
I like them as they match the wings perfectly but the wife likes simple things (like me) hence they are in the garage.
I do feel they are expensive to buy (£50ish)considering they are 6 plastic chrome effect strips.

They will need new 3M tape applying but if anyone wants them, feel free to PM me an offer.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
fyi

feel free to PM me an offer.

they can pm u but you cannot reply until you have 15 posts :D

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
well u have 15 now! congrats!

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
I do feel they are expensive to buy (£50ish)considering they are 6 plastic chrome effect strips.

They will need new 3M tape applying but if anyone wants them, feel free to PM me an offer.
Are they original MB parts - A172 880 00 82? I imagine if you only paid 50 odd, they are not, but just in case and they are MB, I'd be interested.

·
Banned
973 Posts
A further thought ....

The plastic faux grille on each wing (with the chrome adornment) looks horrible & cheap. Sorry Mercedes but NOBODY thinks it's a real air intake. Aston Martins have a similar arrangement where there is a REAL air intake covered in steel or stainless steel mesh.
Would love to be able to replace the nasty black plastic with stainless steel.

·
Registered
500 Posts
A further thought ....
The plastic faux grille on each wing (with the chrome adornment) looks horrible & cheap. Sorry Mercedes but NOBODY thinks it's a real air intake. Aston Martins have a similar arrangement where there is a REAL air intake covered in steel or stainless steel mesh.
Would love to be able to replace the nasty black plastic with stainless steel.
I not sure why you feel that the black side grilles and chrome strakes look any worse or less convincing than those on the bonnet? After all, the grille on the R/H side of the bonnet is just a dummy too, granted it is perforated but there's no outlet under the bonnet.

Maybe you could save up an buy an AM instead? then you'd get the genuine side vents that you seem to want so dearly for free! >:D

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
2,032 Posts
Sorry folks but I think those extra pieces ruin the look of the car. I am a "Plain Jane" and as far as I'm concerned MB broke the mold after the 05 (or whenever they started adding more stuff as described in this thread). I've tried really hard to like the later models and I've tried hard to like the AMG. But I just.....don't.
My Firestorm 05 350 is plain compared to an 05 AMG (06? Can't remember). The only thing I wish I had is the v8. To me, in these pictures, the AMG looks like it needs a shave. Ok start beating me up online.....GO!

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sorry folks but I think those extra pieces ruin the look of the car. I am a "Plain Jane" and as far as I'm concerned MB broke the mold after the 05 (or whenever they started adding more stuff as described in this thread). I've tried really hard to like the later models and I've tried hard to like the AMG. But I just.....don't.
My Firestorm 05 350 is plain compared to an 05 AMG (06? Can't remember). The only thing I wish I had is the v8. To me, in these pictures, the AMG looks like it needs a shave. Ok start beating me up online.....GO!
No beating up from me :smile: I think that the clean look illustrated in your photos of R171s is more attractive, it's a similar story with the R172. I went for the cleaner looking base model rather than the AMG sport version, even though they're higher spec they cost about the same second hand.

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
69 Posts
Bonnet Grills

Not sure way any body would buy a 50 thousand dollar car and than start to jazz it up. The only things I would add would be to aid me in driving. Like the rear view camera that I had installed.:|

·
Premium Member-sold my '55
1,384 Posts
Not sure way any body would buy a 50 thousand dollar car and than start to jazz it up. The only things I would add would be to aid me in driving. Like the rear view camera that I had installed.:|
That would get you driving the wrong way. :grin: Now, a different suspension, bigger brakes or a LSD, that's a different matter albeit a bit more $$.

·
Registered 2013 SLK250
69 Posts
That would get you driving the wrong way. :grin: Now, a different suspension, bigger brakes or a LSD, that's a different matter albeit a bit more $$.

Hay, I have to go back wards before I can go forward then I can see what is in front of me. Like to keep the car as is, it gets enough attention as it is:smile:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.