Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all, as I mentioned on the introduction post I am looking for a 1999 / 2000 / 2001 - R 170 (230 K or 320).
Reading about the car I think having an ODB scanner seems handy when inspecting “a;most vintage” cars and maintaining it.

Nevertheless, I could not find any specification on what device would work on the R 170. The information I have is that any ODB II ELM 327 would work, But I am not sure.

The top end ODB goes for at least US$1.000 in Brazil. On the other hand I found several Chinese blue tooth versions available online. The brands we have here are not the same I found on ebay, but they look very similar and they cost around US$20… that made me skeptical.

Does anyone use those Bluetooth things? Do they work? Can they reset codes?

Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,685 Posts
I can't answer your question but I can clarify for those that do.

Do you wish to just read codes?

Do you want to refine how deep those codes are?
I'm making up a code here, but say a code reader gives a P0987 as ignition
a more expensive reader can identify the exact component fault.

The cost is in the detail that you want from it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Avel,

Thanks for your reply.

I do not expect much from a US$30 gismo… but it would be nice to find one that works.

As far as my understanding goes the scanner must be ODB II ISO 9141. The ones I found indicate they are ISO 9141-2, I cannot tell if "-2" makes any difference.

I also learned that the app you use on the phone also matter, so if anyone can indicate a good one for iPhone I appreciate.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,192 Posts
@lauroasn

Hi and welcome.

I use an ELM327-compatible Bluetooth dongle quite successfully with both Torque on Android and Carly for Mercedes Benz, but before we look at OBD II and an ELM327-compatible Bluetooth dongle there is one thing you should look for in your new SLK. Some early SLK R170s have the old style 38-pin round OBD connector under the bonnet / hood and later ones have a normal 16-pin socket under the steering wheel. If the SLK you choose has the older 38-pin socket you will need to buy an adaptor cable to provide a socket to plug the Bluetooth adaptor in.

Back to the Bluetooth. All you need to look for is an ELM327 compatible dongle - and make sure the dongle is v1.2 or v1.3 compatible to ensure the best operation with the apps you use. Read this note on eBay UK to learn more.

Reactions: stu32

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hi lauroasn...... I bought a Topdon elite when I had a problem code with the SRS a few years back. Found it works fine for most DIY type trouble codes and not expensive. You can clear faults when you have fixed the problem also.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
Some early SLK R170s have the old style 38-pin round OBD connector under the bonnet / hood and later ones have a normal 16-pin socket under the steering wheel.
The Pre-FL US models have both 16-pin OBDII under the steering wheel and a round MB connector inside the engine compartment. You can't really access all the control modules from the 16-pin though - only the engine, and only enough to comply with US emissions requirements.

I have bluetooth but I only use it for code clearing - for real diagnostics, I used my Carsoft MI6, which is hard wired.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320/2000 SLK230
2,719 Posts
There is also a 38 to 16 pin adapter cable but not sure how effective it is.

BT is nice but is mainly the inexpensive Android scanners (Torque Pro is great for what it does and can display many dash parameters (speed, coolant temp, battery voltage, TPS, MAF on a cell phone all at the same time but is not so good at troubleshooting.

Carly Pro for Mercedes is great but 2004-up (no R170).

After those two we get into the dedicated devices. Probably the most cost-effective ($109) is the Autel DiagLink with the Mercedes (Benz) module. It is expandable to different makes (adding Chrysler is $10) though setup over the web is a bit obscure. For me the downside is that Support for my '07 Crossfire is limited.

Still under $150 are the iCarSoft MB-II (not i980) which does great on both MB and Crossfire but the "save data to PC" does not work so need to photograph screens. And the Launch CRP123 which I have not tested but have heard good things. If someone has the CRP123 I'd like to hear about it.

After that it gets expensive.

ps surprisingly the Autel, iCarSoft, and Leader have nearly identical setup and display menu screens - almost wonder if all get their software from the same place. Picture below is from Leader but is same on all iCarSoft & scan menus are the same on Autel and iCarSoft. Would be interesting to compare the Leader to the others.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.