Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah! That would be cool!! Also, ANYTHING (!!) would be easier and quicker than the way I did it!! :D. It was A LOT of work.

If you do that, please do a DIY in that section!

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
288 Posts
Its beautiful. Its not overly done. Very classy!!

I cant get the role of the acrylic though. This is to "guide" the blue light to the edges and to have some edge effect? I am a lazy boy. What if we just somehow insert this little LED filament light behind the star and around the circle? No need to remove the grille I hope.

Light Lighting Visual effect lighting Font Line

you think the method can work?

regards
Bryan

Attachments

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It's only 3V, so you'd need some resistors to take down the power from 12V. Those could get hot, so probably some heavy-duty ones.

Also, the circumference of the star is about 55cm, so both of them are to short. But if you're ok with only part of it light up like that, then sure, why not!?

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
288 Posts
EDITED THE computation after I got the listed values fir the current:
They can be wired in series. They will get longer. When that happens its 6V You need. These things use very little current, it is listed as 40mA (thats gonna be very bright). if the led is 3V then the resistor will need to dissipate 9V*40mA = 360 mW. the common small resistor is 1/4W(250mW). there are small common1/2 watt resistors available you can us.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
288 Posts
EDITED THE computation after I got the listed values for the current:
Off the back of napkin computation…. 2 in series will result in a 6V LED strip. Assuming current draw is 40mA, you will need a (12-6) / .040 = 150 ohm resistor. This will heat up with 6*.040 = .24 Watts of heat. smallest off the shelf resistors are .25 W. .24W will get a mildly warm but nothing to worry about.

in practice you will probably need 3 or even 4 of these wires, you want to insert them through the 3 ”propellers” as well. You also will want less than 40mA through those LED because it will be too bright, in my opinion.

I am hoping there is enough space in the hollow mercedes symbol to insert the wire. this way you dont need to drill holes on the grille, the acrylic however is a tough job. I”m trying to find a way to avoid making that.

yours turned out so beautiful. But blue might not work for my r171 as my headlights are still yellowish hallogens. So i might go for warm white,

regards
Bryan

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sounds good! If you ever DO do your version, make sure to take lots of pictures and create your own DIY thread!

I'm not going to touch mine any more, I have a lot of other things that I'd like to do on the car and this was quite a lot of work.

But keep in mind that you shouldn't do blue anyway - see my very first post and the warning in there. I didn't think about that initially (I just think blue would look good :) ), but had I known I would most definitely go with some kind of white.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not so far.. But I don't drive that much at night (no sun, no point in going top down :D :D :D ) and it's not really visible in daylight.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
288 Posts
EDITED THE computation after I got the listed values for the current
@Turbo master of stars. just researching. what’s your opinion on this feasibility? It seems there is enough room to squeeze these 2mm thick led filament around the circle (and importantly outside of the clips). This will lift the star a bit allowing light to show. These LED wires are really flexible like jello. They are made of silicone. Then I will just snap the logo back! hopefully this will avoid the need to make that acrylic star which looks like a pain to build unless you have a milling machine at home. I will use 3 wires of 30cm each. Each “propeller“ should be about 8.8cm long and 1/3 of the 55cm radius is 18.3 cm. So thats about 27cm. 3 wires in series is 9V, a 75ohm resistor will reduce the voltage nicely. (you can increase the resistance if too bright, (I would use a 100 ohms to start). I’ll make another DIY thread if successful. Thank you for the inspiration! the lighted star is such a great idea!

Vision care Eye glass accessory Eyewear Rectangle Gadget

Personal protective equipment Water Fashion accessory Sports gear Circle

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350 R171
250 Posts
Hmm, that looks like a good idea to me, I’m still thinking a resin pour would help, 2 or 3 mm thick to encase the leds, could use a coating of foil on the base to get reflective too.

I have a new star on order to start playing with this idea too.

I’m going to de-badge and matt black the stars on mine, might even have a look at red leds for the boot badge, although there’s no real room to play with that one.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
288 Posts
Hmm, that looks like a good idea to me, I’m still thinking a resin pour would help, 2 or 3 mm thick to encase the leds, could use a coating of foil on the base to get reflective too.

I have a new star on order to start playing with this idea too.

I’m going to de-badge and matt black the stars on mine, might even have a look at red leds for the boot badge, although there’s no real room to play with that one.
If you have the skill and time, I think putting a layer of acrylic will still yield a better result. It will lift the star higher and in a more consistent manner.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
288 Posts
hmm. in the mercedes OEM, only the inner circumference of the cirlcle is illuminated. Any thoughts why? Does it look better this way? I was planning on lighting up the outer circumference (aside from the propellers). Ok so I need to redesign a bit. The clips are going to get in the way of the LED wire. There will be dark spots (ugly) on it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Car Grille

I suppose it will look too much like a BMW if the outer circumference is lit?

·
*Registered
2005 SLK200K
288 Posts
I started on the project. its not as easy either but looks promisisng.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts