Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my New Member post a couple of weeks ago I mentioned the car I bought had a blown engine. This is a winter project for me and I will be taking my own sweet time doing this. The car is a '99 SLK230K.
The garage I'm working in does not have heat so I will not be out there for long periods doing things. The garage also does not have a lift. A floor jack and stands will have to do.
Two days ago I went to a recycler (a breaker for you in GB land) and bought a used engine. Today I started taking odd bits off it that I will be replacing with parts from the engine I'm pulling out or with new.
Well, I found that the recycler had stored the engine outside and the spark plugs were not installed. Nor was the top cover drawn up tight. I found water in all 4 cylinders.
So now the engine swap is postponed until I pull the head off and inspect the cylinders and the rotating assembly.
Don't you just love it when a plan falls apart.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K
1,127 Posts
Don't you just love it when a plan falls apart.
This is par for the course when it comes to cars. You always need Plan B, C and D to fall back on.

Having said that.. there is great satisfaction to be gained when it all does finally come together.

Clive has just finished a 7-year rebuild of one of our cars (not MB). The frustration when things went wrong was always outshone by the joy when things finally went right.

Keep the faith, keep in touch with this Forum and all will be well...
Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow... but... soon.. :wink::wink::wink:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is par for the course when it comes to cars. You always need Plan B, C and D to fall back on.

Raised as a farm kid that was trained by Dad to fix it yourself. Went on to become a machinery mechanic for the Navy. Later for Boeing Commercial Aircraft. I fixed Boeings machines that made the parts.
So I know about having to modify original plans.
I am usually surprised when things actually DO go as planned.
Anyway, right now I'm sidelined by the weather. I woke up to the outside temp of 10F and the garage is not heated.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK200K
1,127 Posts
I fixed Boeings machines that made the parts.
So I know about having to modify original plans. .
Well, hope the weather improves soon, so you can get to grips with the motor etc. looking forward to seeing some photos.

And, as you will find on this forum, there are already lots of mods you can add... but I reckon you will be putting wings on your car and making her really fly...

Great stuff !!! :wink:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it took awhile, mainly due to the cold weather, but the blown engine is out of the car.
Now to start swapping parts from the blown to the unblown (and hopefully good).
The top cover for the coils, timing chain cover, motors mounts and a few more items.
Also, the replacement engine came from an auto and mine is a manual. Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, transmission input shaft support bearing in crankshaft need swapping also.
I'll inspect the clutch plate for wear and decide from there on replacing or not. But probably so. That means a throw out bearing too.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, you've certainly been busy.. any photos ..?? :smile:

Right now I'm too busy cussing at it to take pictures.
The replacement engine came out of an automatic trans car. So it has a flexplate and my blown engine car is manual. So it has the clutch assy and a flywheel. I have to exchange them each to the other.
I'm trying to get the flexplate off the 'new' engine but it doesn't want to move. Yes, the bolts have been removed. I currently have penetrating fluid soaking the flexplate/crankshaft interface. Maybe tomorrow it will be lubed enough to actually come off.
So I then step over to the blown engine and think I'm going to remove the pressure plate and clutch disc. I have all the bolts removed but the pressure plate is not budging.
I've given it several really good whacks with a no bounce mallet. Still not moving.
I'll get back to it tomorrow.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have managed to remove the flex plate from the 'new' engine and the pressure plate and clutch disc from the blown engine.
I had to resort to using a gear puller to get both off.
The flex plate fought me the whole way off. There is just enough surface rust on the end of the crankshaft to make it difficult to remove. But the flex plate is off. I'll have to remove that surface rust so I can get the flywheel on smoothly.
The pressure plate on the blown engine had a big quantity of clutch dust caked in there. That is what was holding the pressure plate in place. Gear puller again.
Now that it is off, I see that the pressure plate and flywheel are both colored blue. Most likely culprit is overheated by using the clutch to hold the car from rolling backward on an upslope.
New clutch kit has been ordered.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What was "blown" on the original motor?

Tim
I believe it was. However with all the times it has been overheated I am concerned that there could be some internal problem. Cracks, leaks, etc.
The overheating itself could have been caused by a variety of problems: bad temperature switch, bad fan relay, bad water pump, bad/stuck thermostat, etc. Or any combination of those and more.
To avoid possible engine internal complications I chose to go with a different engine and replace all these components.
I've already tested the fan and it works.
I'm undecided on replacing the radiator but I am leaning that way.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm undecided on replacing the radiator but I am leaning that way.
If your original engine was overheating because of a failed head gasket or cracked block or cracked cylinder head, then I would definitely recommend replacing the radiator. Exhaust gas forced into the cooling system can make for all sort of mess inside a radiator core. You might be able to get it cleaned, but I prefer going for a new one to make sure it is up to par. At the very least also flush out the heater core as well.

Ed

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's what the pressure plate and flywheel look like. Not the worst I've seen but definitely not the best either. At least there isn't any cracking of the surfaces.
Those that have not seen clutches, etc., print this picture and take it to your mechanic. Ask him what he thinks of it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clutch kit is on the way and should be here mid-month.
The flywheel has been delivered to my machinist. He says he should have it re-surfaced by early this coming week.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The flywheel has been re-surfaced by my machinist. I have the newer 2 piece rear main seal on hand.
So now it is time to start getting everything on the newer engine to install it.
It is supposed to be cold until Thursday or Friday. So small things for now and maybe have it ready for reinstall by then.
I hope I remember the locations for all the sensor and hose connections.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.