Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, has anyone used a trickle charger and blew the battery? I am between making decision weather to by float charger or use my trickle chargers, I have few of those I use for my motorcycles, if trickle works I don't want to spend the money on float charger, looking at the prices of the c-tec they are expensive, unless someone knows a bran that is lesser expensive and does the work. Thank you all in advance for your inputF)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use a float for my m-cycle, they're about $30 - it just has to be smart enough to stop charging when the voltage reaches the desired level.

Don't remember the brand, but IIRC I bought it on Amazon (checking now)

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for the source for float chargers, at this time my question is solely educational; does the trickle charger cause any damage to the battery?, I always connect these to my bikes and I don't see any damage, my fear is that I thought the car battery is more durable there fore I had a maximum 10 amp charger, I connected overnight next morning my battery was blown, I washed the whole area with fresh water and saved from corrosion. This is why I am trying to learn the different types of devices, specially some of the float chargers say; they do not charge the battery, they only maintain charge, what does this means, my question may sound dumb, sorry if you feel this way, just a thought :confused:

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,387 Posts
A trickle charge is constant low amp. They are chargers you have a full charge they keep sending amps that can do damage to battery. Something like you had with a 10 amp charger.

A float charge again is low amps but has a way of detecting that the battery is fully charged and will stop putting out amps, when the battery drops below the full level it will put on amps again until full charged. Some will work with a low charged battery while some if battery is complete dead will not work. The idea is you have a full charge and just need to maintain while not in use.

If you go either route there is several posts on how to make quick hook up so it is as simple as a hidden plug that you connect or disconnect to use the car. Do a search.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Battery Tender Jr. is around $20 USD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.