Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Kennebunkport, Maine last week celebrating my honeymoon and putting a dent in the lobster supply. We stayed at a quaint little BnB near the center of town. The 2nd day, I went outside and got all excited to see a black SLK55 AMG in the parking lot with Quebec tags. We had left our 55 at home and were driving a rental car. Later, I looked more closely at the car and was bothered by several details. The brakes were not AMG, nor the wheels and the front air-dam was not AMG. The more I looked the more I realized that the car was an AMG poser. I never got to see or speak to the owner. I really wanted to challenge him/her to a race with my Malibu LTZ >:D, since I am too much of a gentleman to call them out in a more overt sort of way. If you want an AMG, go get one. They are not that much more costly. They are not for everyone but they fit me pretty well.

Irish

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,886 Posts
Congrats on your marriage!

·
Banned
974 Posts
I was in Kennebunkport, Maine last week celebrating my honeymoon and putting a dent in the lobster supply. We stayed at a quaint little BnB near the center of town. The 2nd day, I went outside and got all excited to see a black SLK55 AMG in the parking lot with Quebec tags. We had left our 55 at home and were driving a rental car. Later, I looked more closely at the car and was bothered by several details. The brakes were not AMG, nor the wheels and the front air-dam was not AMG. The more I looked the more I realized that the car was an AMG poser. I never got to see or speak to the owner. I really wanted to challenge him/her to a race with my Malibu LTZ >:D, since I am too much of a gentleman to call them out in a more overt sort of way. If you want an AMG, go get one. They are not that much more costly. They are not for everyone but they fit me pretty well.

Irish
Why would you want "to challenge" him? It's not your car nor your business. Bet if the owner was 7 feet tall & built like a blockhouse you would soon think twice.
Those too ready to challenge others by attempting to police the world & pass judgement risk encountering somebody unhinged & run the risk of getting very hurt & not by mere words.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you want "to challenge" him? It's not your car nor your business. Bet if the owner was 7 feet tall & built like a blockhouse you would soon think twice.
Those too ready to challenge others by attempting to police the world & pass judgement risk encountering somebody unhinged & run the risk of getting very hurt & not by mere words.
:td: Hey Oldmercman. Why you wanna go an pee in my Cheerios? I was just making some friendly observations about people putting AMG logos on their MB's for some unexplainable reason. Some logical observations come to mind:
1.) I was not talking about backing the owner into a corner and assaulting him/her. Only inviting them to a friendly stoplight pull for fun a giggles.
2.) Plus, I was making a joke (not my greatest skill, I admit), as the Malibu rental was still no match for an SLK350 or SLK230, so it would not end well.
3.) As for policing the world? I am opposed to such behavior. See too much of that as it is.
4.) I am closer to being the one your momma warned you to avoid. But, You will not see me starting an altercation without provocation. I got nothing to prove.

They would be better off to look elsewhere for relief even if they were 7ft tall. No negative messages intended or implied. I wish you the best. Reading this stuff is easy to take wrong. Peace be unto you.
0:)Irish

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,077 Posts
Congratulations on your wedding.

I love imitation, it can lead to them eventually joining the fold.
The downside is when someone 'think' they burnt a 55 and didn't.
The upside is when the same guy meets the genuine article and wonders what happened to his performance.

Oh! Cheerios and Guinness go well :D

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,077 Posts
Next time you're tempted, you could leave a copy of this under the wiper blade...
Love Maine in the fall. Wife and I do a yearly pilgrimage to Ogunquit with a side trip up to Freeport to hit L.L Bean.
That's it!

YOU'RE ON MY LIST NOW!

Darn it! I'm running out of coffee today.

Although the pc has had two liberal coatings.:frown:

Maybe I should just let it dry and lick the screen?:wink:

·
Banned
297 Posts
Two comments:

1.) Loved the checklist. Will be keeping that for sure.
2.) Everything goes well with Guinness mate!

Irish
When I was about 18 six of us went to Gt Yarmouth on holiday- to cut a long story short, on the last morning we'd filled the car with petrol and had nil cash left(long before the days of credit cards)- all we had in the larder was a box of cornflakes and a pint of Guiness. You've guessed it, we poured thge Guiness over the cornflakes for breakfast - proved #2 is WRONG:grin:

·
Banned
297 Posts
Just a thought, wasn't Kennebunkport where Teddy Kennedy tried to teach Mary Jo Kopechne how to swim?

Sorry, just looked it up - evidently it was Chappaquiddick - all those American names sound the same to me

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
483 Posts
A bit off topic but,a couple questions based on that checklist.

According to the original window sticker, my '05 SLK350 came from the factory with the "AMG Sport Package" which includes wheels with the AMG logo. Does owning/driving it make me a poser?

Does wearing the black AMG logo ball cap with the CF and solar beam yellow accents that my local Mercedes dealer gave me when I had the new tires installed while driving said SLK350 make me a poser? (Aside from the hint of yellow, it's very low key, the AMG logo is black on black, so you really can't see it unless you're very standing right in front of me.)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,886 Posts
If MB put it on your car and in your datacard, then no

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AMG posing

I often wonder if I wear an AMG shirt while riding the Harley does that make me look fat? What about wearing the Harley hat whilst driving the AMG?, does that make me look old? What if I put an AMG logo on me bum while riding the bicycle?, will that make me look slow?

Answer to all the above: Yes :wink:
(I am old fat and slow - on the bike, but not in the AMG)

Irish

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought I wanted an AMG when I went MB shopping but among other reasons the dealbreaker for me was no manual available wih the AMG. So much for all that extra HP I wanted. I went for the manual.......does that make my head look fat? :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts