Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago when I first got the car, I drove it from Georgia to Kentucky. It seemed that while on the multiple interstates that I took, I was ALWAYS in somebody's blind spot. In one (albeit long) trip, I had at least four cars attempt to merge into me...

Is this common for anybody else? What tips do you guys have for me? I've just been avoiding driving in any spot that may be a blind spot for other people if I can help it (sometimes in traffic, I really can't).

I wish my car was louder so I could announce that I'm there, haha...

And speaking of loud, also a bit off topic, are there any good sub boxes/amps that fit under the seat?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,464 Posts
you said it...avoid their blind spots. oh, and play your music louder!!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
SLK's are small cars to begin with, so yeah, I've noticed I'm harder to see than we driving say a F150.

FYI, our driving instructors *always* recommend never driving in someone's blind spot if you can avoid it. And never be the first one through a intersection when the light changes. And loads of other good stuff! :p

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I see many people driving down the road with their side mirrors aimed wrong. They are aimed to see behind them and not to the sides. The inside rear view is to see behind you and the side mirrows to see beside you. If aimed correctly you will see the car behind you and as it starts to pass you will see it in the side mirrrow then in your eye sight as it start to move ahead you. You can tell they are wrong when you are behind them and you can see the drivers face in the side mirrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, play music louder. The best solution...

Now all I need is a small-enough of a sub box to fit under my seat!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I see many people driving down the road with their side mirrors aimed wrong. They are aimed to see behind them and not to the sides. The inside rear view is to see behind you and the side mirrows to see beside you. If aimed correctly you will see the car behind you and as it starts to pass you will see it in the side mirrrow then in your eye sight as it start to move ahead you. You can tell they are wrong when you are behind them and you can see the drivers face in the side mirrow.
There's a thread on this (in the forum) with a link on adjusting the outside mirrors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, was a link to a youtube video if I recall correctly - can't find it at the moment.
I know this one exists, and I know the video you're talking about, but I can't find that one either.

It tells the same stuff, though.

·
93,464 Posts
now would be a good time to refresh people how to set their side mirrors:

you beat me!!!!!

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Both videos are correct and good. It does take some time to get use to doing this, but once you adjust to these settings you will neverf have a blind spot in your driving. Inside rear view is whagt is behind and side mirrows is what is beside you. All traffic will be in your view all the time. Try it for week of driving.

·
93,464 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Look at the two mirrors, the factory car is aimed down the side of the car and you can see the car and what is behind it. the mirror above is aimed different and you do not see the side of the car by what would be coming up be side it. Look at the red car on the other side of the fence, car mirrior it is in the center and you see the entire side of the car, in the top mirror it is now just on the rigth side of the mirror and you do not see any of the car but every thing to the left of the car.

The top mirror is aimed as explained in the videos.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
... but if you're always out in front and no one's passing you or gaining on you, you really won't need your mirrors...

I really like the Step by Step WikiHow solution - it's very straightforward

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
... but if you're always out in front and no one's passing you or gaining on you, you really won't need your mirrors...
Or if you're a Gumball Rally fan . . .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts