Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:surprise::frown:

So....while driving from my office to a jobsite, i punched it. Now, its a low speed zone so I didn't get too crazy.
The instant I punched it, I heard a loud bang & some weird buzzing sound. I turned the radio off & rolled down the window to listen. Nothing strange.....

Parkd the car and came out about 3 hours later to discover my hood with a hole in it.

First reaction? WTF did someone drop on my hood!!

upon closer observation, the hole looked wrong to have damage from the outside.

opened the hood and tried to find something amiss.

All i found was the piping for the emissions sliced through and a gaping hole on the underside of the hood.

I started the car but there was nothing that sounded different than it should.

Drove about 5 miles and the car started overheating Of course, there are no water hoses at gas stations anymore so i parked it.

I looked for something obvious:
fan is ok
belt is ok
pullies ok
nothing appears to have broken off
pan is still installed under the car so unlikely something came from the road.

I'll have time tomorrow to do a better inspection but
ANY suggestions would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Almost certain that the kompressor clutch pulley has let go. From the damage I would say one of the springs has fractured and thrown out cutting the nearest bits in the process. I have seen pics of this and the damage could be a lot worse so don't chance driving it any more until it's sorted.
By the way, is it a standard clutch pulley or a smaller after market version?
Good luck with the repairs :tu:
ps. having had a closer look at your pic it has obviously cut through the secondary air pipe and also appears to have sliced part way through the water feed to the oil cooler.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the smaller pulley. Been installed about a year. Thanks to all for the responses. This will be a tax and taxing weekend.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update

Been too busy completing my taxes to get dirty. did get the cut hoses removed. Do not see any indication of a clutch issue. everything looks intact.
will get the hoses fixed this week and fire it up.
any thoughts on it being a broken motor mount?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,261 Posts
Doubt it would be a motor mount, it would have to travel a long way. Any chance the loud bang was emission systems related, over pressured the hose and something to do with that (debris, hose clamp) ejected thru the hole? Where the hose is cut, it looks like there is the metal pipe and a portion of a metal pipe still in the hose. Maybe there was an emissions back fire and a piece of the pipe, perhaps already cracked near where the hose attaches, shattered and was sent thru the hood. Just brainstorming ?

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's so easy to remove the pulley I don't understand why you would not do it to have it checked properly.
The only bit you need to remove 1st is the secondary air injection pipe and you have to remove that to fix it anyway.
Then release the tension on the belt and drop it off the pulley. Unscrew the nut in the middle of the pulley and the pulley withdraws off the kompressor shaft leaving the 2 dowls in place. Start to finish 20 mins tops.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the water hose below the emissions pipe was also sliced. iif the pipe had exploded, in a clean cut, i would think i would have a hole in the bottom pan as well, or a piece of meal or something else. still looking.
the pic of the hole through the hood is perhaps misleading. The slice is almost 6".

something traveling at that velocity should have left a hole below, or at least a piece.

'

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,438 Posts
I actually believe something severed the pipe. it looks pinched rather than expanded, meaning the impact came from outside in. definitely looks like something from inside the clutch got loose.

If it did (by chance) pop from the inside, in no scenario is a metal pipe going to give way before a rubber one.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,584 Posts
Flat, thin, Piece of metal

The cuts appear to be caused by a flat thin piece of metal swinging around the outside of the clutch housing at the exact location where the emissions pipe is sliced.

Picture a weed whacker that uses a metal blade instead of string. In those designs the the metal blade swings out due to forces, but if it encounters anything it cannot cut through it pivots back.

I would bump the engine around and look at the clutch very closely all the way around at the exact location on the clutch where the emissions pipe is cut, keeping in mind that the piece that did the damage may be knocked back to its original position. I would bet if you used a screwdriver to test the fastness of all the components you will find one that would swing free. It came out when you punched it, it did it's damage and was knocked back into place by the last thing it hit/cut.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with the theory that a thin piece of metal did the slicing and dicing. I also believe that's what went through the hood.
Now I need to find the part number and get my baby fixed!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally had a chance to get back to looking at the issue. And I believe you are correct. Less than 10k on the pulley. I've contacted Eurocharged for their opinion....

Thank you so much for your input.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to all:

THANK YOU for all of the input. I finally got to look at everything today. I think I was just in denial. Who would think the eurocharged pulley would detonate in less than 10k miles in less than 2 years!

I've contacted eurocharged for their opinion.

Thanks again to all!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.