Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
You've definitely heard about that trick that if you lock your key in the car, you can have someone with the spare key call you on the cell phone and press the unlock key on the other end of the line and the car is unlocked!!

Anyway, the thing is, the more we get connected, the more vulnerable we become.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
You've definitely heard about that trick that if you lock your key in the car, you can have someone with the spare key call you on the cell phone and press the unlock key on the other end of the line and the car is unlocked!!
Total myth - mobile phones do not operate in the frequency that would be required for this, and the receiver in the car requires an RF signal, not an audio one..

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, and yeah. I sorta figured it had to be a man in the middle attack to work. When the mobile carriers started selling home pico cells, it was only a matter of time until someone hacked one.

Good news is that from what's been published so far, they would have to have the target car identified, have it registered with their pico cell, and then have the user legally unlock it. Then they have the code and where to send it...

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which (unless it's my car ) is going to happen on a fairly regular basis, so the cars key (encryption, not physical!! ) can be picked up fairly readily.

Nah, sorry - you have to have it unlocked via SMS for the hack to work - eg mBrace. The RF rotating keys are different....

·
Registered
527 Posts
Total myth - mobile phones do not operate in the frequency that would be required for this, and the receiver in the car requires an RF signal, not an audio one..
Just to make things clear, I believed in that thing as much as I believed in the "hanging the CD to avoid speed radars" thing!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.