Mercedes SLK World banner

Should I Blacken the Badges?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people de-badge their cars but what about instead of debadging the silver lettering, how about BLACK lettering.

Most my car is blacked out except for the rims, the lettering on the back and the MB symbol in the front Black grill.

Would Shiny mirror finish Black or even Dull Black lettering look ok?

I would like to loose the Silver off the car by getting Black rims but not sure what to do about the Badging color. I would like to keep the badges on the car.

What do you all suggest and are Black badges avail or will I need to paint the ones I have?

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I've never seen them before, I guess you'll have to take them off and paint them to find out, if you don't like it, there's plenty of cheap chrome MB badges on ebay. How bout some carbon fiber ones, I don't know, just giving you other choices.

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Carbon fiber...Good idea for me to look into.

Good idea about Ebay. I can buy some and experiment with them.:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I had graphite / gun metal lettering on my black Lexus GS300. It looked great and was just thinking yesterday how sweet that would like on my 55. I have seen gun metal lettering on other MB's here in the valley. Not sure if they were custom made or ordered through MB. I'll try to find a picture of the rear of the Lexus.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Fellow here that gold plates such. When I paint my SLK Storm Red, I will have the badges Gold Plated. Now that will make me the grand pooh pah of red necks. Copper color, hmmm proble I would do flat black with flat black rims with copper outside rim flange, be sure to add coon tail and whip antiner. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :tu: :tu: BTW, most chrome shops can do bout any color you want, part of the chrome process is blackened then zinked. Call a chrome shop for advice. My next choice would be powder coat, simple easy, do it yourself packages available on line, use your friends oven not yours. Or call any shop that does powder coat. I did a Nomad chassis last year gloss black, turned out purdy.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu: I like the idea of subdue lettering. I'm sure the exterior color would be a factor. Light to medium color exterior would work, not so sure about dark colors. I think a matte black, not flat black, lettering color would work best. Speaking of lettering, I wish MB would go with a flat decal for their rear lettering.

D

·
0 Posts
I know Brabus make black badges but not for all the models but they might be able to help out, prob serious $ involved with them tho.

Might be easier to do the work yourself.

-1-, as far as i am aware the only flat badge (decal i guess) MB make is "Werkswagen" and you dont want work car on the back of the 55

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
I would leave them chrome as they came from the factory.
I have to agree with Mo. I think the chrome gives it a distinctive look against the copper. I may think differently with a different color, but definately not the copper.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
I have to agree with Mo. I think the chrome gives it a distinctive look against the copper. I may think differently with a different color, but definately not the copper.
Copper is a luxury colour nothing sporty and easy to mix and match with.
If I had a Copper car I would stick with certain tuners and designs ie Brabus, Carlsson etc

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I said yes. Not because i think it's a greast ideal just becuase I'd like to see pics and make my judgement. Nice have other people try things out. ;)

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
I said yes. Not because i think it's a greast ideal just becuase I'd like to see pics and make my judgement. Nice have other people try things out. ;)
I'm with easty, I like it when people becomes creative and take risk in modding their cars. Sometimes it comes out nice and sometimes it doesn't but you don't know until you try.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Easiest would be just to order a new set of badges, an have them painted. I don't like the idea of a flat decal, seems kinda cheap to me.

·
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Dealer says they only come Silver from Mercedes.:(

I am looking into my options to darken them.

Next item I need a solution for is extra thin double sided tape for reapplication. I have checked a few places and no one has it.

Any ideas?
SLKman:tu:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Actually, you dont' want REALLY thin tape. if you look at the MB stuff it's about 2 mms thick. Get 3M trim tape. Works great. Also, it's really REALLY not a big deal to darken the trim. Get self etching primer, VERY light coat, and then spray paint any colour you want. Neon pink, Black, Brown, Gray, whatever.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
i voted for black mirror, because i think it would look sick on my black car!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
any other colour i would say no, leave it alone. But black against yuor colour looks superb! I would gof or blackening the MB logos front and black. would look very good in my opinion. then get the AMG wheels and paint centres black, with chrome lip.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
speaking of gold plating. I was heavily into the VAG scene. (Volkswagon Audi Group) and use to travel UK France for shows. Goldplating was used alot for engine bays, especially for the mk2 golf boys, and also on wheel bolts and door hinges. looks amazing and ios actually the best conductor.
must cost a fortune, and keeping it clean would kill you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.