Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an R172 SLK350 from a large dealership (not MB). It had a couple of bird poo damaged areas on the paint which the dealer said he'd remove. Actually, I'd rather he'd left them as it seems a pretty poor job. The main one is on

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, posted thread before it was complete.

The main swirls are on the bonnet (hood). They don't look as bad from the front as they do in my photos. However, I'd like to find out if it's a hard job to remove them. I'm pretty good at DIY, patient and like to do things properly so if a home job is possible I'm happy to give it a go. On the other hand if you detailing gurus say "Walk away" that's cool too.

Suggestions please?

Cheers, Simon

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
A couple of years ago, some unknown species of bird dropped a huge and particularly nasty looking load on my obsidian black bonnet. I almost felt sorry for the thing which delivered it. I washed it off with two cans of water and detergent, but it left a stain. A couple of days later I took it to the guy who does my detailing. He spent about thirty minutes on it, but couldn't eradicate it completely. I don't know exactly how long it had been on my car, but suffice it to say, it wasn't dry when I first rinsed it off.
Modern water-based paints don't seem to be as resistant as the older high VOC types, and certain colours seem more delicate than others.
If it were me, I'd let the dealer attempt it first. If he's unsuccessful, you can squeeze some form of concession from him.

ETA: I see I mis-read your post, the dealer has already attempted a remedy. In this case, I'd go back and complain! :mad:

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Simon,
If you can, I would take it back. If they said they would fix it, then that’s what they should do. I think that’s an awful job they’ve done.
If you try it yourself then you can’t go back to them afterwards.
If you are going to do it yourself then take your time and start with a quality compound like the Meguires M105 followed by the M205 or similar polish.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/131055476182
A DA polisher would help but you could do it by hand as well, it’ll just take longer.
BTW, I’m no expert, just things I’ve learnt along the way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simon,
If you can, I would take it back. If they said they would fix it, then that’s what they should do. I think that’s an awful job they’ve done. If you try it yourself then you can’t go back to them afterwards.
As a matter of principle, I agree that they should do it. However, given the level of quality of the first job, I'm not really sure I'd trust the person who did it to do a better job the second time. To add into the mix, the place I got the car from is an hour away, then add in how long they'd take to do it and time off to stay whilst they do it and it's even less attractive.

I've been recommended to a local company by a friend who's got a garage business and they send all of their cars there so I think I may pop it up for an opinion.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
As a matter of principle, I agree that they should do it. However, given the level of quality of the first job, I'm not really sure I'd trust the person who did it to do a better job the second time. To add into the mix, the place I got the car from is an hour away, then add in how long they'd take to do it and time off to stay whilst they do it and it's even less attractive.

I've been recommended to a local company by a friend who's got a garage business and they send all of their cars there so I think I may pop it up for an opinion.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Good idea Simon. As long as the marks are only minor blemishes on the top coat, then they can be polished out. To get a DA Polisher and all the bits and pieces to do it yourself would probably cost £200. So if they can do it for you for less your saving.

Although if you do buy the kit you will have it to do the rest of the car, if that's something you may want to do in the future.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So long as it hasn't etched through the lacquer coat then it should be possible to polish out or at least very much diminish the damage. As Davest4s says you could buy a DA and polish, etc, but be warned it can be a slippery slope and you'll end up wanting to do the whole car (see my detailing thread for an example of getting carried away :grin:). Hopefully the local company can sort you out if you don't want to get into DIY.

·
Banned
974 Posts
This is going to sound sad but as I live by the sea, often park by the sea & take holidays by the sea seagulls are a particular threat so..... I carry a wet sponge in a sealed bag & a micro-cloth, the sponge 'laid' on any poo to absorb as much as possible, then sponge reversed & surplus poo dabbed off. Dry micro-cloth to dry the area. At NO time is anything 'moved' on or over the poo. This is fine until multi-poo's are experienced so hopefully facilities to wash out & clean sponge are available nearby & asap.
This procedure was doubly important when I owned fabric roofed cabriolets/convertibles.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Posted this before I think, but seems apropos now.

I had a big plop on the hood of a red car years ago. Too lazy and tired to clean it off when I got home. Next day I cleaned it, but it had left a poop-sized dull etching I could never get out. Only mark on it in 12 years when I sold it. Never wait!!! I carry stuff with me now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
If that's the best the dealer can do, I wouldn't let them have another go, although I would ask if they would pay towards getting it fixed by someone else.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Plenty of detailers will be able to polish that out. Pay a pro and get the best result first time. Will be cheaper than the outlay cost of a polisher and all the bits. If doing it yourself, as its not the whole car, do it by hand and dont scrimp on the product. If its cheap and, not a recognised professional brand it may not give you the affect your after. Also beware of machine polishers yourself as one slip especially on a corner etc and, a machine polisher could take the paint clean off. Machine polishers can be very unforgiving as you learn and black is about the worst for adding swirls. Maybe practice on a neighbours car when they are not looking first :wink:

I had my car ceramic coated to avoid this very mishap as I have a mark on my Mountain Grey A class from bird poop that nothing I have tried has shifted. Its up on the roof at the rear and, only seen in the right light but, that bit of paint dosnt sparkle like the rest after a wash and wax. Car has other little marks now at 4 years old so, if I keep it for longer I might have the whole thing paint corrected and then ceramic coated. The coating I have is covered for 3 years and, will probably last 5. Just a shame my detailer had enough of the long hours and too many people wanting their cars done with no notice and now sells BMW's for a living :frown:

Good luck, Im sure you will get your car how you want it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
After the fact nothing seems great, so maybe focus on keeping a good coat of wax or sealant on the car?

Street near us used to have a parking spot of doom, with a favored post meal resting place for birds directly overhead.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts