Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Bilstein B6s all around last year but on stock springs. I had a 350 with sport suspension.

Unfortunately, I am finding the ride to be too firm mainly due to crashing on potholes, more tramlining and more rattling in the cabin. Handling is fab during a spirited drive in the local countryside.

My car has done 65k when i changed the shocks. My questions is - Would Eibachs offer better ride quality with B6 dampers than what i have now, or shall i cut my losses and make everything stock again? I may get new OEM shocks all around and may change the rear springs too....

Opinions please...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hi Ram, long time no speak!
I doubt that fitting Eibachs as opposed to "sport" springs would make much difference. I've not tried them on an SLK but I did use them on my old Z3M and they were pretty stiff. Although they were described as "progressive", ie softer at the beginning of their travel but firming up as they compressed, I found them to be a lot stiffer than stock all the time.
I think that you'll have to go to standard, softer springs to improve the ride but at the expense of more body roll. You can play around with the rubber spring pads to change ride height to a limited extent.
Tyres/wheels can also make a big difference. When I changed my 17" 350 wheels to 18" AMGs it made the ride crashier (but it did look nicer!).
Hope you manage to get it sorted.
Russ

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,915 Posts
Yeah, I also don't think it's going to make much of a difference. You already opted for B6 instead of B8. The non-Sport-Pack springs from Eibach might result in *somewhat* smoother ride, but you are probably going to be better off going back to a stock setup.

·
Banned
801 Posts
I have the same car, and the ride is a little stiff. I think the B6 Bilsteins would be my choice of shocks although Bilstein makes OEMs for this car.

The problem is the front has a 0.5" drop compared to the non-AMG. This requires a shorter spring with a higher rate(stiffer) to prevent bottoming on bumps.

Changing to Eibachs won't cure the problem, since they are a lowering spring. What you want to do is get rid of the drop which is easy to do. Just replace the front springs with the non-AMG spring.

Your ride height will increase by 0.5", and you have more front clearance for the chin spoiler and a less harsh ride. BTW, the back is fine.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. I am really torn up about this as it rumbles and rattles on broken roads but absolutely sublime through corners. Even roundabouts are fun!

What to do...what to do...?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey mate i am having the same issue however i am on stock shocks and springs now. so did you solve your rumble and rattle on uneven surfaces? if u did solve, what setup did u use? thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I solved some of my rattles and crashing by running tires with a little more profile (sidewall) and installing a front strut bar. The strut bar helped a lot!

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Thanks Guys. I am really torn up about this as it rumbles and rattles on broken roads but absolutely sublime through corners. Even roundabouts are fun!

What to do...what to do...?
Try to avoid the broken roads. Maybe lube your roof and trunk to make sure those aren't rattling. I'd probably ask Bilstein about this since the sport shocks are designed for sport springs. Personally I'd upgrade the springs to the Eibachs for the look and performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts