Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anybody has any experiences with trunk style bike racks that will fit the SLK300 (or 350)?

From looking at it, it appears as though the generic ones would fit on the trunk area and be able to support the weight of a regular bike.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'm wondering if anybody has any experiences with trunk style bike racks that will fit the SLK300 (or 350)?

From looking at it, it appears as though the generic ones would fit on the trunk area and be able to support the weight of a regular bike.
This sounds really scary to me! I am not sure that putting weight on the boot is healthy for the retractable roof....

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
So FYI guys - just because I got in a pissing contest with my SA over this very topic.

DESPITE what some dealers will tell you, ANY R171 can be retrofitted to accept the MB SLK roof rack. It is NOT a "factory only" option, and there is a retrofit kit available, for install by an dealer.

I've got the part numbers for the kit, and the WIS documentation for the retrofit, but unfortunately didn't carry them with me to Paris - so I'll update when I get back home.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This sounds really scary to me! I am not sure that putting weight on the boot is healthy for the retractable roof....
Oh, no. To be perfectly clear - I don't plan on operating the roof with a bike or bike rack on the trunk at that time. It would strictly be the case of either putting the roof down first, then mounting the bike rack on the trunk lid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Yes, I saw that. Since it's not specifically made for bikes, I'm don't get a good feeling for putting one laying on it. Naturally, I want to protect the car as much as possible, that's why I like once that hangs off the back. I though about a trailer hitch with one fo those bike racks but it's a lot more involved ($$$, permanant fixture) than a trunk mount bike rack.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen those before. Main problem with them is that I don't see my wife being able to pick up her bike and place it on the roof rack. Plus, it would look goofy riding down the road with the top down and a bike or two hovering above your head.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Are these racks history? My Canadian dealer parts dept had no insight into this product.

Sounds about right. The rack is part number A000 890 0293, still shows as valid.

Unless you are one of the *extremely* lucky people who ordered the prefit option from the factory, you will also need the retrofit kit. This is not quite as easy for me to give you part numbers, as there are two different types of A pillar covers.

Tell 'em to search WIS for "Retrofit Roof Rack", and the retrofit kit part number is A1716900010.

Was evidently not a poplar option on the SLK, so not a lot around. My dealer in London, however, shows one of the racks in stock along with the retrofit kit, so they are still findable..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds about right. The rack is part number A000 890 0293, still shows as valid.

Unless you are one of the *extremely* lucky people who ordered the prefit option from the factory, you will also need the retrofit kit. This is not quite as easy for me to give you part numbers, as there are two different types of A pillar covers.

Tell 'em to search WIS for "Retrofit Roof Rack", and the retrofit kit part number is A1716900010.

Was evidently not a poplar option on the SLK, so not a lot around. My dealer in London, however, shows one of the racks in stock along with the retrofit kit, so they are still findable..
Uk-C200 Thanks so much for your help. I just called my local Canadian dealer and the roof rack they can get. It was only $245 so I was kinda shocked too bc the one for my cayenne was about $600 and same with my old BMW.
They couldn't find the retro fit kit but my parts guy said he would call MB Canada tmrw to see if they can add it so he can order me one from Germany.

Hope this works out, I already have the snow tires on the car and this would be a fun ski machine imo. If anyone out there knows a US MB dealer that has a retro fit kit feel free to let me know. Also UK C200 you can PM your UK dealer too bc I may have to get it from them!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Uk-C200 Thanks so much for your help. I just called my local Canadian dealer and the roof rack they can get. It was only $245 so I was kinda shocked too bc the one for my cayenne was about $600 and same with my old BMW.
They couldn't find the retro fit kit but my parts guy said he would call MB Canada tmrw to see if they can add it so he can order me one from Germany.

Hope this works out, I already have the snow tires on the car and this would be a fun ski machine imo. If anyone out there knows a US MB dealer that has a retro fit kit feel free to let me know. Also UK C200 you can PM your UK dealer too bc I may have to get it from them!

Hey Kokinos - talked to my dealer today - A1718400124 is the roof rack "rails" - eg the base portion of the rack. A0008900293 is the "Bike Rack", which is the bit that holds a bike to the roof rack rails, so that probably explains the difference in prices!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Kokinos - talked to my dealer today - A1718400124 is the roof rack "rails" - eg the base portion of the rack. A0008900293 is the "Bike Rack", which is the bit that holds a bike to the roof rack rails, so that probably explains the difference in prices!!
UK-C200 thanks for your help with finding me this rack. I'm hopeful now I can source the parts and make this happen as longs as it's not in the thousands of dollars. I head snowboarding about 25 times a year and it would be too much fun driving to the hill in the SLK!
I got your pm fyi just can't respond yet until I hit 15 posts. I'll call the dealer with new part #s tmrw and see what happens locally first.

·
Registered
940 Posts
UK-C200 thanks for your help with finding me this rack. I'm hopeful now I can source the parts and make this happen as longs as it's not in the thousands of dollars. I head snowboarding about 25 times a year and it would be too much fun driving to the hill in the SLK!
I got your pm fyi just can't respond yet until I hit 15 posts. I'll call the dealer with new part #s tmrw and see what happens locally first.
Which mountain do you go to? Be careful with a SLK on those roads. Ive done 360's in SUVs with chains before :/

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
I suspect you could put a standard bike rack on the rails. You'll find the bike rack is merely a rebadged Thule or Mont Blanc, or similar ... .with a 20% premium for the MB badge. Just like their car seats are rebadged Britax.

I must admit the roof rack is a beautiful bit of design, but a trunk mounted carrier will be cheaper and easier to use.

By the way, I use Mont Blanc Barracuda on our sensible saloon, other brands seem rather rudimentary in comparison.

http://www.montblancuk.co.uk/our-products/bike-rack/roof-cycle-rack/roof-cycle-carrier-performance/bike-carrier-performance-roof-mount-barracuda.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.