Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG w P30
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Michelin Alpin (Tire Racks recommendation) on my R172 SLK55 - absolutely the worst winter tires ever! I had Blizzaks on my SLK 32, and a 2009 CTSV, and Perelli Winter Sports on my 2015 Mustang with the performance option 19" - all amazing winter and ice tires converting (even the SLK32) my rear drives into better than Jeep snow and ice performance. Last week we had a 1" snow in Minneapolis that was icy - may as well been driving with summer tires - scary! I'm having them taken off (a $1400 mistake) and replacing with Blizzaks - which are not an exact fit but close enough. I will never again take a website supplier 'recommendation' again.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts
Did you let Tire Rack know of your displeasure?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,404 Posts
Curious. I use Mich PS4 year round on the 171 55 (we seldom get your severity of weather).
They are fine in 1" snow.

I'd expect better of a winter tyre.

Clearly not a novice error as you have used winter tyres on other cars.
@Prefurbia
I'd point this out to tire rack.
If nothing else, they may stop recommending to 172 55 owners.
You might be saving a life.

·
Premium Member
964 Posts
Curious. I use Mich PS4 year round on the 171 55 (we seldom get your severity of weather).
They are fine in 1" snow.
Hi Myk, really surprised that a UHP Summer tire (Michelin PS4) on a RWD car will have any semblance of use in 1" of snow... But I have seen pics of your car in snow, so I do believe this. In my case when I tried a Summer Bridgestone tire in 1" of snow it almost caused me to crash my SLK. Never again... So I do understand the issue as described by @Prefurbia

For truly winter tires, Nokian (studded or non-studded) and Blizzak are pretty good options to consider. I have vouched (repeatedly) for the Conti DWS06 as a "solid performer" winter tire. It has earned my repeat purchases, and I have no plans to buy any other brand/model for my car.... if in doubt, just look at my sig picture taken on my driveway, and the tire ate up that snow like it wasn't even there.... >:D

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,404 Posts
Hi Myk, really surprised that a UHP Summer tire (Michelin PS4) on a RWD car will have any semblance of use in 1" of snow... But I have seen pics of your car in snow, so I do believe this. In my case when I tried a Summer Bridgestone tire in 1" of snow it almost caused me to crash my SLK. Never again... So I do understand the issue as described by @Prefurbia
Discovered by accident.
6 am start for work and no fuel in SUV.

We rarely get prolonged spells of -7 that is recommended for winter tyres.
Folks here tend to go for chains or socks.

Acceleration is no issue. But you have to be conscious of hard braking.
Fortunately, engine braking is spot on for foul weather.

Used to pass the Zeds parked in ditches on my way in/home.
Made me appreciate my limits.

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG w P30
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually I has my Aston Martin Dealer get the recommended tires, so I did not but from Tire Rack but assumed they would recommend the best - the Aston Dealer gives me great service and matches other's prices (or better). So next week, they will be taking off the Michelin Alpin's and replacing them with good ol'd reliable Blizzaks - which cost me $500 installed less than the recommended tires from Tire Rack. That's the reason I can't go after them or demand a refund. The 2015 Mustang I has as well as the CTS-V had wider tires than the SLK55 and yet both were incredible in the snow and ice. I'm generally a fan of Michelin's - will do PS4's this spring on my Vantage, so I figured they would be great snow tires as well, another influence on my decision.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
:) :) :) Hardly surprising! They can't even spell T Y R E !!! :) :) :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts