Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of folks here, I have looked at my headlamps from time to time and felt a little . . . disappointed. They work ok and otherwise look nice if polished up, but are still a little bit boring compare to the 171's and all the newer HID/projector type units . . . So like a lot of you I was looking into upgrading mine with something more like these:

Mercedes Benz Slk230 Slk3 98-04 Halo Projector Headlights - Chrome

Perhaps just with halogens at first, but still with an eye toward HIDs later. With this in mind I spoke with the folks at "The Retrofit Source" and asked for a recommendation on a possible HID kit. This was when my head began to spin . . .

Their representative said that they would NOT recommend any aftermarket housing with an HID upgrade kit; what they would recommend would be more like rebuilding my OEM headlamps with their HID/Projector kit.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=227

Has anyone actually installed projectors into their 170 SLK?

(I see where it could be done, and it might perform really well (or really poorly) but I have enough going on already without having to add "Headlight Builder" to my resume.)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Like a lot of folks here, I have looked at my headlamps from time to time and felt a little . . . disappointed. They work ok and otherwise look nice if polished up, but are still a little bit boring compare to the 171's and all the newer HID/projector type units . . . So like a lot of you I was looking into upgrading mine with something more like these:

Mercedes Benz Slk230 Slk3 98-04 Halo Projector Headlights - Chrome

Perhaps just with halogens at first, but still with an eye toward HIDs later. With this in mind I spoke with the folks at "The Retrofit Source" and asked for a recommendation on a possible HID kit. This was when my head began to spin . . .

Their representative said that they would NOT recommend any aftermarket housing with an HID upgrade kit; what they would recommend would be more like rebuilding my OEM headlamps with their HID/Projector kit.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=227

Has anyone actually installed projectors into their 170 SLK?

(I see where it could be done, and it might perform really well (or really poorly) but I have enough going on already without having to add "Headlight Builder" to my resume.)
I see you have a huge dilemma over here... I thought I was planning for too long (about 2 weeks of material search) until my wife said: "Just go ahead and buy it! You've read every post possible!" :biglaugh: Now she just loves them!!! When she gets into my little black "sweetheart" people start staring at her non stop =) Black car, black projectors, black tail lights, tint =D That looks soooo sexy!
Anyway, hope other members who have those will jump in and give you recommendations! I did the best I could :tu:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
. . . I did the best I could :tu:
Well they certainly look to be the right people to talk to. Very informative and with high quality components . . . . I just wonder if I'm on some different wavelength from them; we seem to be at such odd ends of the opinion scale.

Just so everyone else knows, Jayson helped me on some of the basics, and has had good results/response from the folks at TRS. The response I got was:

"The feedback from customers with those aftermarket housings generally errs towards the output being very poor and thus my previous statement."

There for they are recommending the projector kits.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How to take your headlights apart . . .

Just in case you want to know . . . Frankly, I'm almost of the opinion that these lights should be replaced every 10 years!!! One of the lost benefits of the old sealed beams. Surprisingly, it's the wiring harness that seems to have come out the worse for wear . . .

Perhaps I can mount projectors in these housings, but I'd still like to have the look of the one piece lens.

:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Disassembly document . . .

You could also mount the 'better' retrofit projectors to the aftermarket one piece housings?
I had asked that actually, and the response I got back was;

"For installing our projectors, we recommend utilizing the stock housings since they have more space inside them than these aftermarket housings.

All of our installation guides can actually be seen on our website with a lot of information for fitting these units: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/install_guides.php "

I really do like their component packages, but I'd just hate to go through all the effort and then not have it work as well as I would like. (Now, if I was independantly wealthy and this could be my day job . . . I'd probably be up to it . . . and I'd fix some of the other problem areas in the car as well!!)

I'm going to try posting my disassembly document from a "skydrive." (Otherwise my pictures will run me out of space!!) Please tell me if this works better or worse than something like photo-bucket. If it does I might start moving my pictures and things to a dedicated email account. (You do have to click through it about 3 times to see the document.)

:Beer:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have those aftermarket projectors and I've been pretty pleased with them. The low-beams are quite nice and they have a great cutoff. I can't imagine why they'd be bad with HIDs in them.
That said, the hi-beams are in desperate need of adjustment. Unfortunately the highs are tied to the lows. You get the lows how you like and the highs are scanning the treetops.
It's possible to adjust the highs by fitting longer screws, but it appears to be quite a process. I simply don't use the highs too often.

I'll be fitting a set of HIDs in the new year. I'll be sure to post about them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the aftermarket Halo Projectors you reference with HID's in them. The stock bulbs that came with them sucked, the HID's made the low beams much more usable. I will tell you this, the lights are cheap. They look nice and modernize the car but the adjustment on these is horrible. Basically if you adjust the low beams where they are useable then the high beams are pointed up into the trees. There is not a separate adjustment for both high and low beams. So all we can use is the low beam.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the aftermarket Halo Projectors you reference with HID's in them. The stock bulbs that came with them sucked, the HID's made the low beams much more usable. I will tell you this, the lights are cheap. They look nice and modernize the car but the adjustment on these is horrible. Basically if you adjust the low beams where they are useable then the high beams are pointed up into the trees. There is not a separate adjustment for both high and low beams. So all we can use is the low beam.
Those are the kinds of issues that tend to keep me on the fence . . . :mad:

(I think we must have twins seperated at birth! lol )

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts
See how this forum brings families together!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I installed them on my 32 and replaced bulbs with higher wattage, this allows the low beams to cast farther out so you do not need to over adjust the vertical, works 4 me and very pleased.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Those are the kinds of issues that tend to keep me on the fence . . . :mad:

(I think we must have twins seperated at birth! lol )
Our 01 SLK 320 isn't a daily driver, it's my wife's toy. So the high beam issue isn't really a great concern. However, they should make these Spyder headlights with separate adjustments for low and high beam. Piss poor design, but for $200 I guess you get what you pay for. The turn signal sockets didn't work properly either. I had to go out and buy a thicker O-Ring so they didn't fall out of the whole. The Ebay seller did give me a partial refund for my troubles with that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.