Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just spent $562 on 4 Goodyear Eagle GT tires for my car at Discount Tires.

I just found these discount codes at Sears.com that would have allowed me to buy the same tires for $398 plus give me $75 rewards and a $40 rebate.

I'm passing them on to you.

http://www.sears.com

Click on automotive/tires on left side of page.
Click on All tires on left side of page.
Click on change tire size and put in your front tire size.
Add tire to your cart and update tire count to 2 tires.
Go back and click change tire size and put in your back tire size.
Add to cart and update tire count to 2 tires.

Your cart should show 4 tires.

Now enter promo code B3G1FREE
Page will update with discount price.

Now enter promo code SEARS35OFF300AFFILIATEDEALS
Page will update with discount price.

Now enter Auto40

Now enter promo code SYWAUTO7 to bag yourself a $75
Shop Your Way Rewards CREDIT. (It's free to join.)
Page will update.

Pay for your tires!

Finally, print this $40 mail-in rebate, fill out and mail in.
http://www.goodyearrebates.com/pdf/GOI.pdf

I do not know how long this will last but maybe you can save a few dollars.:Beer:

SLKman:tu:

edited to add auto40 for even more savings.

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
Thank you! It's that time for me as well. What kind did you buy?

·
Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got Goodyear Eagle GT

235 45 zr 17 front
245 40 zr 17 rear

They carry all kind of makes and models.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,160 Posts
Discount tire is a sponsor. Could you not contact them and say, "what's up?"

·
Fanatical Member
3,419 Posts
Darn, the B3G1FREE doesn't apply to Michelin Pilot Sports, only to Goodyear Eagle GT. The "Affiliates" promo. code would save me $35.00. I'm still gonna shop around. Thank you for the information.

·
94,160 Posts
I merely suggested that they are a sponsor and if I was buying and members should be eligible for some sort of discount, why would you say my post was stupid? Besides being extremely rude to me.

·
Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought yours was rude to me and I responded incorrectly. I apologize.
If you have issue with my post or a sponsor, inquire to them yourself.
No reason for your original post. It did not say what your second post said.
Just trying to help others.

·
94,160 Posts
I am never rude to anyone after being here almost 7 years just like you.

my original post said or was implied to say, Did you contact discount tire and say, why so much more by $400?

And I also, like you, am always trying to help others

·
94,160 Posts
The same to you my friend.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Aside from the discount code [thank you-and double thank you for the sponsor information!]

I perhaps misread or am not tire savy yet...but my data card says that I have 16" wheels yes? [688 INVALID/L.A.5-SPOKE DESIGN,16" WITH MIXED TIRES thank you Jeff!]. So why would anyone put different model tires on the front and the back? And this is not to say-that my previous owner didn't put 17" already on my car. The dealer hasn't told me what's on them. I'm going to fish out the recent service receipt to confirm that.

Any additional input would be appreciated :D New rims are calling my name like a siren in the night, damned sparkly shiny rims! :hail:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I perhaps misread or am not tire savy yet...but my data card says that I have 16" wheels yes? [688 INVALID/L.A.5-SPOKE DESIGN,16" WITH MIXED TIRES thank you Jeff!]. So why would anyone put different model tires on the front and the back?
Great Question,
The word MIXED means that there are different size tires on the front and back axles. It is the way the SLK was designed. I think it has to do with how great the car handles, but I really don't know. :) Maybe someone more knowledgeable can tell you why.

You can check and see if your previous owner went with the OEM size rims when they went to 17's by checking the tire sizes. My owner's manual shows the rim and tire sizes for my '06 171. The may have gone with the same sizes on the front and the back, as at least then you can rotate the tires.

Just as an FYI - I haven't found how to make a tire warranty worth purchasing, as they all require rotation, and for mixed tires it can't happen - therefore IMHO they work for the first 3,000 miles or so and then they are invalid. If someone else has found a way around it I'd love to know how, as I just had to replace a tire with 6,000 miles on it because of a puncture.

Best Wishes,

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
Just as an FYI - I haven't found how to make a tire warranty worth purchasing said:
I have seen some warranty will work for like 1/2 the miles if you taken it in the tire dealer for inspection at some mileage points. Where we have staggered tires.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Yet another item to add to the list, yay me. I understand the concept and reasoning now, but what is the stadard? 17's in the back and 16" in the front for an R170 or? ASIDE from preference of course.

I can find the most rad rims in the world and it wouldn't matter, that doesnt mean they would fit on the new ride.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
3,422 Posts
Ideally you want the front and rear tires to be the same diameter, but different widths. By having narrower tires in the front and lower profile tires in the rear you get the best of both worlds. Lower profile tires have less sidewalls sway, narrower tires are less prone to hydroplane. So you have control in the front and stability in the rear!

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
Yet another item to add to the list, yay me. I understand the concept and reasoning now, but what is the stadard? 17's in the back and 16" in the front for an R170 or? ASIDE from preference of course.

I can find the most rad rims in the world and it wouldn't matter, that doesnt mean they would fit on the new ride.
You should have the same size rims in the front and the back in diameter with different widths. Front would be something like 225x45x17 and rear would be 245x40x17 tires and rims would something possible like 17x7.5 front and 17x8.5 rear. Depending on package and engine would have different diameter of either 16, 17 or 18 inch rims.

·
Don't forget your cat nap
191 Posts
By the way, Discount Tire will match anyone else's price on wheels and tires.

However, what they do with Internet prices is add the Internet company's published shipping and handling to their published price. That seems to me to be fair enough as that is the cost delivered to you in both cases. I recently bought 5 wheels and tires for my travel trailer, and ended up saving money over their published price. It was enough to make it worth the research. It my case buying from them is very convient, because they are only a mile and a half away.

Ken

1 - 20 of 21 Posts