Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to be able to take my bike to the trail, but there was no way I wanted anything riding on my paint, or showing when the rack wasn't mounted. After searching the forums and not finding what I was looking for, I made one myself.

Fabricated and mounted two 1" square tubes under the car where the exhaust mounts attach, and braced laterally against the frame. These stop just short of clearing the bottom of the body so that you can't see anything when the rack is not attached.

I then fabricated two 3/4" square tubes that slide into these and use a 1/4" roll pin to lock them in place. All that was required after that was a minor mod to a Yakima roof mount rack and I was in business.

The bike is spaced out just far enough to allow me to open and close both the trunck and the top without removing the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Doug
* Bike rack *

Hopefully you still have your car, and are still on this site.

Stumbled on this by chance, via a search on roof racks... (which (offically) sound rare, and I certainly am uncomfortable with idea of the inflatable roofracks which is on ebay at the moment.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easy-Rack-Soft-Roof-Rack-Fits-Mercedes-SLK-2004-On-/230836030826?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item35bee64d6a.

Looking at a car on Friday, when I get it, ideally want to be able to transport a bike, rather than have to borrow other people's cars to do so.

Your idea looks great. How successful has it been for you, is it stable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,198 Posts
Doug checked in 3 weeks ago so hopefully he will see your post.

·
97,198 Posts
I pm'd him for you

·
97,198 Posts
get 6 more posts to pm yourself. in case he pms you!

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.