Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I just got this SLK 200, its equipped with Bi-Xenon, when I drove it at night, I hardly see any light, it looks light the headlights are pointing very low, I guess this can be adjusted. But also the light doesn't look very bright, but if I look at the headlights, they look bright white ..... Is it just they are old ?

I never found them very bright also on my previous SLK350...

Considering replacing with LED bulbs, any good solutions?

Thanks

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bet they are aftermark, cheap one to look good.
I had some from amazon 10000k and they look nice but so bad in the night, i change them with some 5200k and now i can see in the night.
I need to check what bulbs are in there, but from what I've seen its not easy to get there...

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
2,125 Posts
The original Xenon is a pain in the behind to get to without removing the wheel liner! Find a small child :D.

I tried myself and I don't have very big hands, but I couldn't do it. I could remove the old one and get the new one in place, but I couldn't do that final push-in-and-twist to lock it (the bulb) in place, so had to remove the wheel and then the lining!

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The original Xenon is a pain in the behind to get to without removing the wheel liner! Find a small child :D.

I tried myself and I don't have very big hands, but I couldn't do it. I could remove the old one and get the new one in place, but I couldn't do that final push-in-and-twist to lock it (the bulb) in place, so had to remove the wheel and then the lining!
Ya it doesn't look easy without removing the wheels, will need to see what I can do

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG
789 Posts
I changed my original (in the car when I bought it) HID bulbs, which were 3200 lumins. With these "Osram night breaker" bulbs.
Guitar accessory Font Automotive lighting Dvd Data storage device

You can look on the Bulbfacts site here - BulbFacts | Best Recommended HID/Xenon Headlight Kits
according to the "bulbfacts" site. These are a lot brighter than the originals, and they do appear a lot brighter! -
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

Or, looking at the site you may find an LED kit that's suitable.
Replacing the original HID bulbs is not a 5 minute job. Jack the car, remove the wheel, remove the front wheel arch liner (8 bolts). When refitting the high voltage exciter on the back of the bulb DO NOT fit the electrical plug first, as this will stop you being able to fit the exciter back. And heed the warnings about the high voltage of the exciter.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Exciter (this might not be the correct description) on the back of the bulb.
They are a lot more expensive than the standard Halogen bulbs, but are very bright. The cut off on dipped beam headlights means that they don't appear that good, until you put them on main beam. Then you can see for miles !!! :)

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I changed my original (in the car when I bought it) HID bulbs, which were 3200 lumins. With these "Osram night breaker" bulbs. View attachment 618920

You can look on the Bulbfacts site here - BulbFacts | Best Recommended HID/Xenon Headlight Kits
according to the "bulbfacts" site. These are a lot brighter than the originals, and they do appear a lot brighter! -
View attachment 618921
Or, looking at the site you may find an LED kit that's suitable.
Replacing the original HID bulbs is not a 5 minute job. Jack the car, remove the wheel, remove the front wheel arch liner (8 bolts). When refitting the high voltage exciter on the back of the bulb DO NOT fit the electrical plug first, as this will stop you being able to fit the exciter back. And heed the warnings about the high voltage of the exciter.
View attachment 618922
Exciter (this might not be the correct description) on the back of the bulb.
They are a lot more expensive than the standard Halogen bulbs, but are very bright. The cut off on dipped beam headlights means that they don't appear that good, until you put them on main beam. Then you can see for miles !!! :)
Thanks for the great info here.
I will take a pic with the lights on projected to a wall to show it here, but it really looks very low, and when i turn on the high beams it’s powerful but yellowish …..

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,677 Posts
Thanks for the great info here.
I will take a pic with the lights on projected to a wall to show it here, but it really looks very low, and when i turn on the high beams it’s powerful but yellowish …..
When my xenons were on their way out first thing I noticed was that the colour of one of them had turned to sort of orange. Time to replace them. Always replace them in pairs.

·
*Registered
2013 SLK55 AMG w/P30 (Malene)
261 Posts
the original Xenon color should be more towards the very cool blue/white side of the spectrum as they get older they do start losing brightness. I suggest you stick with the same type of Xenon bulb as your ballast "igniter" is rated for that particular bulb and you may wear out the other components faster if you alter the bulb.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the original Xenon color should be more towards the very cool blue/white side of the spectrum as they get older they do start losing brightness. I suggest you stick with the same type of Xenon bulb as your ballast "igniter" is rated for that particular bulb and you may wear out the other components faster if you alter the bulb.
Yes I agree, but they look so bright when I look to the car, but from inside the car, I hardly can't see the light, im used to LED lights from my Tesla hahaha

But is it normal the High beams to have a more warm spectrum? look like they are not HID but halogen

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When my xenons were on their way out first thing I noticed was that the colour of one of them had turned to sort of orange. Time to replace them. Always replace them in pairs.
Thats what I find strange, they look bright and white, no change in color, but from inside the car I can't really see much illumination ..... and looks like they are pointing too low, need to see how to adjust the headlights against a wall

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,677 Posts
But is it normal the High beams to have a more warm spectrum? look like they are not HID but halogen
Should be the same as low beam. 1 bulb for low and high beam. Same intensity,same colour,same spectrum. Switch between high and low beam is done by means of a mechanical shutter that covers part of the bulb when you switch to low beam.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG
789 Posts
Thats what I find strange, they look bright and white, no change in color, but from inside the car I can't really see much illumination ..... and looks like they are pointing too low, need to see how to adjust the headlights against a wall
(Correct me if I'm wrong here Pete) There is a self leveling system, which takes readings via a sensor on the rear suspension, and one on the front. The leveling system then levels your headlights on dipped beam, so as not to blind other drivers. I do find myself that it does seem to not be high enough on dipped beam. But doesn't dazzle anyone!!
Our M.O.T test in the UK, which is done every year, checks the headlight alignment. Maybe worth checking if you don't get that done every year where you are.

Reactions: Trev5

·
*Registered
2004 SLK200K
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
(Correct me if I'm wrong here Pete) There is a self leveling system, which takes readings via a sensor on the rear suspension, and one on the front. The leveling system then levels your headlights on dipped beam, so as not to blind other drivers. I do find myself that it does seem to not be high enough on dipped beam. But doesn't dazzle anyone!!
Our M.O.T test in the UK, which is done every year, checks the headlight alignment. Maybe worth checking if you don't get that done every year where you are.
I live in Macau, every car over 10 years old must pass anual inspection, and i believe they check the headlights too.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
2,125 Posts
There is two screws in each headlight where you can adjust it. The automatic adjustment is "only" used to adjust it with load, so you need to get a .. "baseline" adjustment done physically first.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK55 AMG
789 Posts
Definitely looks a lot too low to me !!!:( Crikey !!!

Reactions: Trev5
1 - 20 of 22 Posts