Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmmmm...

Joined the forum about a month ago when I was almost certain on the car that I'm looking. But with my limited dosh and the quickness of the seller changes their prices, I'm torn between getting a cheaper R170 and stick and wait for an affordable R171 to appear :(

Budget around £6k in London and do not mind slightly higher mileage (not that 161k one :))

But was amazed with this site, still...

Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hmmmmm...

Joined the forum about a month ago when I was almost certain on the car that I'm looking. But with my limited dosh and the quickness of the seller changes their prices, I'm torn between getting a cheaper R170 and stick and wait for an affordable R171 to appear :(

Budget around £6k in London and do not mind slightly higher mileage (not that 161k one :))

But was amazed with this site, still...

Thanks
you can pick up a nice r171 with that budget with less than 100k if you shop around there out there

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've just bought a 48K 320 170 for £5,200 at a dealer. It was the best condition one of 17 that I saw, private and dealer. Three were so bad I didn't even bother to open the door, let alone drive them.

No rust apart from surface rust in the area of the bootlid catch and a fair bit of condensation in one headlamp, since disappeared. My suspicion is that they used a pressure washer. One front tyre looked as if it had been kerbed more than once and I got the asking price reduced to replace both fronts.

I looked at three 171s up to £6500 but the mileage was high, although not into six figures, and the interiors showed it.

Private sales were about £1000 cheaper than dealers for the same condition, but some were well over-priced. I saw one for £4,500 just before the one I bought, being sold by a retired couple. There was overspray on a tyre and Isopon or similar on the inside of the wheel arch, not even painted. As I opened the bonnet rust fell on my head.

For your budget you should be able to get a low mileage 170 in excellent condition. As for 171s, you might want to look up problems with M272 engines in early 350s before buying one. This is well covered in this site.

So you'd be looking for a 200K I suppose.

As an observation, I found dealers very honest with their descriptions of their offerings, at least compared to private sales.The dealer I bought from, normally much more expensive cars and this had been taken in p/ex, told me about the headlamp and the rust in my first phone call and then when I phoned again chatted for 10 mins about the car. Not one lie, or even a stretching of the truth. As for private sales, 'very good condition' can mean rusty wheel arches. Excellent/superb/brilliant condition for year/mileage means don't bother unless you'd like a pointless drive out, for me 90 miles round trip once. As for full service history . . .

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,859 Posts
Ive had both 170 and 171 and my money is on the 171 .

Mpg is bad on the 170
And the dreaded rust to sort out etc .

As mentioned before £6000.00 for a 171 is a no brainer and just be prepared to travel as theres some bargains to be had as the price of 172 have dropped hugely .

So 171 have also .

Drive a little and pick up a 171 . :grin:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I will have to (really) broaden the search then :)

Can I ask, does the Balance Shaft issue = M272 issue? And does it affect only the 350 range? Or across all engines depending on the engine number?

You can see that I am a total noob here.

Thanks.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
m272 only and all models that have the m272....usually just 280/300 and the 350 though for SLK

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
yes 200 uses a different engine

we hang out here more than we should :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've just bought a 48K 320 170 for £5,200 at a dealer. It was the best condition one of 17 that I saw, private and dealer. Three were so bad I didn't even bother to open the door, let alone drive them.

. . .
Thanks for your comment. I noticed from you car history, you went from the 171 to 170. Was the 170 really that good :)

·
Founding Member 2006
108,830 Posts
I went from 2002 SLK 320 (R170) to 2005 SLK 350 (R171) to my current 2009 SLK 55 AMG (R171) :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for your comment. I noticed from you car history, you went from the 171 to 170. Was the 170 really that good :)
The balance shaft gear on my 171 went and it cost me quite a bit. It went from a £12k car to £7k and I was lucky to get that. I then went for the CLK, which was immaculate, but I missed the top down motoring.

I'd prefer a 350 again but I couldn't really justify it. We've just had a new kitchen, carpeting throughout the house, and with a daughter marrying . . .

I prefer the looks of the 170. Purely personal so no flaming please, but I think it one of the best designs Merc have come up with in a long time and when you consider the limitations imposed by the roof, it smacks of genius.

The downsides of the 170: steering that whilst OK needs to be better for an out and out sports car. I find it all right but the rack and pinion is better.

Fuel consumption is worse as I have to work the engine harder for the same performance. It is not that much of a drop, and it is insignificant with petrol prices at the moment, but I live in fear of a Saudi decision to restart OPEC. It is only slightly worse than my 2-litre Focus estate auto (I've got a bad back and have difficulty declutching) so not that bad.

I'm happy with my choice. I don't use the performance to the full with any degree of frequency but it is nice to have it there.

If I had the money I would have gone for a later 350 but I'm a writer and so have to pay cash. If I haven't got it, I don't buy.

If you are after advice, I'd say go for the one you prefer and not what people like me tell you is best.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

If you are after advice, I'd say go for the one you prefer and not what people like me tell you is best.
Probably would love to meet you personally when I "officially" join the club and thank you :)

I have similar opinion on the look of the 170 and dislike the steering and the gear changing lever.But it's a car designed 20 years ago so it's a benefit for the merc :)

thanks again for your advice.Will continue searching for the right car.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for that.

I'll be at Mercedes-Benz World for the SLK meet of the M-B Club. That's a chance to talk to the owner of just about any variation of the SLK that has been made. We are, it would appear, a talkative lot.

I've just reread my comment where I advised you not to listen to my advice. It brought back memories of my grandmother who, when anyone in the family said something that defied logic, would say: 'That's a bit Irish, isn't it?'

It would then be pointed out that she was Irish, born in Co. Cork, and had married a bloke even more Irish as he was born in Liverpool (for our American friends; a British joke, if a little Irish). She would then shrug her shoulders.

She once said to me, after I refused to eat something she had cooked (or rather boiled into oblivion): 'I'm bending over backwards to make ends meet.' I was tempted to mention Irishisms but lost my nerve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.