Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK350
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All

Just an update on on my brake mods for future reference.

One of the mods was EBC red stuff front pads and after running them in they where the best feeling brakes I have ever had .
I have done around 1600 miles on them ( hard miles ...you can smell them burning miles >:D )
Anyway after being out on another run I found out they are more or less hopeless:surprise: done , rubbish. (£84)
Maybe they are just brill for a track day and I was using them for fast road ? Not sure to be fair.
I have now ordered EBC green stuff pads to try that I have been setting fire to regularly on the other half,s fiesta :grin: with zero issues.
Will update on these once I have fitted and tried them out

Anyone else found a issue with Red stuff pads ?

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,555 Posts
I boiled my brake fluid on Timmelsjoch pass with Red Stuff pads! I’ve put OE Brembo pads back on the front now but haven’t changed the rears yet. Waiting to see what the brake balance is like with OE fronts and Red stuff rears. Will most likely put Brembo or Textar pads back in the rears at some point though! What exactly was your experience Pete?

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,706 Posts
Me & @Col have these go faster Red Callipers on our R172's

While We where having a day out in the Alps together.... R)
...mine where just generating the normal loads of MB dust, but Col's where generating far more heat - as in You could feel the heat standing by His car....!!

Shame, as I thought Ceramic was the way to go....

Attachments

·
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I boiled my brake fluid on Timmelsjoch pass with Red Stuff pads! I’ve put OE Brembo pads back on the front now but haven’t changed the rears yet. Waiting to see what the brake balance is like with OE fronts and Red stuff rears. Will most likely put Brembo or Textar pads back in the rears at some point though! What exactly was your experience Pete?
Hi Col

on mine i have not had any brake fluid issue but i did upgrade the fluid at same time as i fitted the pads , plus you have more bhp to slow down

i think the red stuff will be better suited to just one track day or rd trip , not sure how long they are supposed to retain the good braking efficiency.

it seems after using them hard a couple of times they now fail to find any bite even when worked hard to try and get temp into them.

did your issue start at the beginning of the trip or after a few days ? will have a look at them when i swap them over to see if lining has cracked ect due to heat or the surface has just glazed over.

·
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me & @Col have these go faster Red Callipers on our R172's

While We where having a day out in the Alps together.... R)
...mine where just generating the normal loads of MB dust, but Col's where generating far more heat - as in You could feel the heat standing by His car....!!

Shame, as I thought Ceramic was the way to go....
well i do have bright green calipers don't forget so maybe i should of put green stuff pads in the first place ?

·
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is good to know.
What brake fluid did you use?
I am happy with my OEM bremboo all around, brake pads and disks.
Castrol react Dot 4

I changed mine due to my driving style as I do tend to use the brakes hard and I enjoy doing so hanging onto the 55 chaps best I can on twisty roads.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,555 Posts
Hi Col

on mine i have not had any brake fluid issue but i did upgrade the fluid at same time as i fitted the pads , plus you have more bhp to slow down

i think the red stuff will be better suited to just one track day or rd trip , not sure how long they are supposed to retain the good braking efficiency.

it seems after using them hard a couple of times they now fail to find any bite even when worked hard to try and get temp into them.

did your issue start at the beginning of the trip or after a few days ? will have a look at them when i swap them over to see if lining has cracked ect due to heat or the surface has just glazed over.
That is good to know.
What brake fluid did you use?
I am happy with my OEM bremboo all around, brake pads and disks.
EBC say they are unsuitable for track use and sell them as a “fast road” item. I can certainly say they are not fit for mountain pass use! Brake fluid wise I had fresh MB approved Dot4 plus put in when I changed the pads about a month before going to Europe!

My discs were so hot they turned blue/purple. If that pass was any longer I probably could have boiled whatever fluid I had in there! :laugh:

Was the thinking about your original post Pete. When you were liking them you were probably still on the break in layer!?

·
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EBC say they are unsuitable for track use and sell them as a “fast road” item. I can certainly say they are not fit for mountain pads use! Brake fluid wise I had fresh MB approved Dot4 plus put in when I changed the pads about a month before going to Europe!

My discs were so hot they turned blue/purple. If that pass was any longer I probably could have boiled whatever fluid I had in there! :laugh:

Was the thinking about your original post Pete. When you were liking them you were probably still on the break in layer!?
Maybe so on the Break in layer , i fitted them July 22nd i think. i would of thought 200 mile or so to bed in though and its only in last 2 weeks i have noticed the sharp change. i have not put any alloy wheel cleaner ect near them that could of affected the pads.
will know once i pull them out and try the greens.
was going to do it this weekend but now i am taxi service for the Girls as they are off to the horse racing in Doncaster...thats my weekend fudged

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
924 Posts
I loved EBC pads on my motorcycles, I tried them on my 335xi and I did not like them at all. It seemed like they would glaze over, which might be what you are seeing. I switched to Hawk pads and they felt much more consistent, but dusted really bad. I ended up going to Akebono after that and fell in love. I have Akebono's waiting to go on my car even though the stock pads are fine.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,799 Posts
FWIW I just had the rears replaced with akebono (due to wear AND dust). Indy warned me that they may be a bit "soft" for a few hundred miles.

I agree after 40 miles--they seem soft, and by that I mean they dont grab as easily at this early stage. I was told they will "improve". Just an FYI.

Reactions: frogfoot

·
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
400 miles on the greens so far.

Things I have noticed are better pedal feel from cold and next to no dust.

Have not gone on a long fast run yet though.

Pic of wheel is 400 miles without a clean.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts