Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a r171 slk55. I've not long had the car and I'm going to do a filter, spark plugs and oil change myself. Just wondering what air filters do you recommend, I was going to go with k&n panel filters but heard about them being too oily. Also want to know the best oil and spark plugs?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,414 Posts
Hi Daniel! members will reply but my job is to remind you to search our fine forum for the answers to your questions first

search like this

go to google box or google

type

site:slkworld.com r171 air filter recommendation

as an example produces this result

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=odNMXPDzDKXSjwTgu7WIBQ&q=site:slkworld.com+r171+air+filter+recommendation&btnK=Google+Search&oq=site:slkworld.com+r171+air+filter+recommendation&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1165.1165..2071...0.0..0.70.70.1......0....2j1..gws-wiz.....0.jbwESusBc04

personally, i use oem air filters only

k & n have oil and oil in your maf is not recommended

others use green

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Daniel! members will reply but my job is to remind you to search our fine forum for the answers to your questions first

search like this

go to google box or google

type

site:slkworld.com r171 air filter recommendation

as an example produces this result

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=odNMXPDzDKXSjwTgu7WIBQ&q=site:slkworld.com+r171+air+filter+recommendation&btnK=Google+Search&oq=site:slkworld.com+r171+air+filter+recommendation&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1165.1165..2071...0.0..0.70.70.1......0....2j1..gws-wiz.....0.jbwESusBc04

personally, i use oem air filters only

k & n have oil and oil in your maf is not recommended

others use green
Thank you. I did do a search but couldn't find slk55 specific items. Will look harder next time. Thanks for your time and recommendations

·
96,414 Posts
pm me anytime you have forum or 55 questions. i will attempt to answer :D

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
I believe the original type filters are very good, k&n may give a bit more flow but will also need cleaning to make them worthwhile.
Spark plugs again I would use the recommend items. (16)
Oil, the best you can afford, mobil 1.
Gearbox oil?
Brake fluid?
Diff fluid?

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,697 Posts
Hi I have a r171 slk55. I've not long had the car and I'm going to do a filter, spark plugs and oil change myself. Just wondering what air filters do you recommend, I was going to go with k&n panel filters but heard about them being too oily. Also want to know the best oil and spark plugs?
I wouldn't change plugs unless they're due, or you have a CEL. It's quite a lot of labour and the risk of breaking a coil, lead or crossing a thread outweighs the perceived advantage. RTFM! - which also applies to consumables. Any oil which is tested/approved to MB 229.5, will be suited to the engine - so buy the one without the hype. And FWIW, I wouldn't put K&N filters on my lawnmower. Buy approved paper filters when they're on special and replace them frequently.

·
96,414 Posts
As Terminal says, spark plugs are not due until about 80000 miles per the maintenance manual

How many miles are on the car?

·
252 Posts
The German maintenance schedule says spark plugs every 100.000km or every 4 years. I don’t see why they should age but it is what the manuals says.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350 sold/now 2018 SL400
293 Posts
The Mercedes branded filters for my r171 350 were Mann, the spark plugs were NGK, Brake Pads were Textar.
Any oil with that has MB229.5 specification will be fine. Don’t be fooled by any oil that says something like meets the requirements of MB229.5
Hope this helps
Mark

·
1,697 Posts
The German maintenance schedule says spark plugs every 100.000km or every 4 years. I don’t see why they should age but it is what the manuals says.

Eventually they burn/erode so that the gap becomes wider. Modern high power electronic ignition can cope well with this phenomenon - but ultimately the ECU will throw a code, or you will notice slow start and/or rough idle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
SLK55 Differential Oil: Replacing the differential fluid. The below from a friend who is a Master M-B technician. I found the fluid he speced at ECS for $24 a 1/2L you will need 3 of these bottles. Either look up using M-B p/n or the Castrol name.. I think I paid $77 delivered.
Mfg Part # 001989520310 ECS Part #ES #1613859Brand

"Just as I guessed, it uses some specialized fluid. The correct rear axle oil for your vehicle MUST meet the specification “MB 235.61“
You will need 1.0- 1.3 Liters of the oil.
The easiest to find oil that meets this specification is “Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip SAE 75W-140” it is available in various places on the inter-webs. It is also sold at Mercedes-Benz dealers in 0.5 L containers with the part number 001 989 52 03 10.
The container must have clearly notated on it somewhere that it meets “MB 235.61“ and it has to be particularly expensive.
If it lacks either of those characteristics, it is not the correct fluid..."

SLK55 Engine Oil: Mercedes Specs Mobil-1 Euro spec 0W-40W. They built the motor, I would go with that. Besides I can get it at ANY Walmart (do they have Walmart's in the UK?)

SLK55 Oil Filter: The SLK55 uses a shorter oil filter than the r113 engine used in the Larger Class M-B, due to limited hood space.

The proper filter is a MANN FILTER HU 715/6x wool filter... again I bought at ECS ES#2631385 P/N0001802809 It includes the 4 o-rings needed.

NOTE SLK55 Oil Change. There are 2 sump drains. Meaning you have to get under the car, remove both engine covers to access the forward and rear sump drain plugs. You cannot do a complete oil change using a suction pump from above the engine.

SLK55: Spark plugs. Do on a slightly warm engine, It's winter here (Jan 2019) engine should be about 100F Removing the plugs: remove the wire and boot, turn CCW the plug about 1/2 turn. Use High Pressure air around both plugs to get rid of leaves, dirt, dead mice, etc so it doesn't fall into the cylinder. Also if the new plug is chromed/silver around the threads do not use anti-sieze, it will not torque correctly and could strip out the head. (this from plug manufacturer.) They will remove without issue when you change then again. I can't remember exactly which plugs I used but the were Iridium's

SLK55 Air Filter: I bought MANN C 3698/3-2 Air Filter Element from Amazon for $20.00

I hope this helps...

Next to do: replace both Diveshaft Flex Disks and driveshaft support bearing.

·
252 Posts
Eventually they burn/erode so that the gap becomes wider. Modern high power electronic ignition can cope well with this phenomenon - but ultimately the ECU will throw a code, or you will notice slow start and/or rough idle.
I can understand that they burn/erode while driving the car but if you drive it for e.g. 4000 miles a year. Why replace the spark plugs after 4 years and 16.000 miles?

·
1,697 Posts
I can understand that they burn/erode while driving the car but if you drive it for e.g. 4000 miles a year. Why replace the spark plugs after 4 years and 16.000 miles?
Personally, I wouldn't - but one school of thought is that they have a high risk of corroding themselves into the head. My attitude would be 'cross that bridge when I come to it'.:smile:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts