1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered-sold my 2007 SLK280
65 Posts
Someone (Especially MB) will tell you that pads are matched to the discs and should not be altered as the braking efficency and wear would be dramatically reduced/affected. However, as MB would not have done any extensive trialling of different combinations, that would be very worse case, if at all.

Add that to the fact that many manufacturers if fact buy in their discs and pads from a part supplier, you could find that you are actually using say a EBC pad, marked up as an MB one.

What that all means is that you could actually improve your braking by using the Bembro pads, or it could stay the same, or it could be worse. So unless the savings were really worth it, or that you like to experiment, stick to the originals.

All that said I did put another make Pads on the Front of the wife's Grand Voyager, and it did signicantly improve the braking. What the wear rate is remains to be seen, but it has improved the braking.

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
15 Posts
RE: Best replacement brake pads

TO me and most of my competition buddies, Brake pads are personal choice as there are a wide variety of compounds and friction coefficients provided for general to specific uses. I recently changed out my front rotors and pads on my 07 280 w/AMG sport package, (MB oem which appear to be semi-metallic or aramid compound).
From past experience, I've found Brembo extremely reliable so I went with Brembo cross-drilled rotors and Hawk carbon ceramic HPS (High Performance Street) pads due to their good friction co., good initial bite, consistent pedal modulation/feel, rotor kindness, low dusting and good life-span. Other colleagues are fond of Akebono (also ceramic compound) but over the years I've become partial to Hawk, Ferodo and Brembo (all ceramic compounds). I've also had reasonable results with Porterfield, but found them to be quite aggressive and generated excessive heat during prolonged use (mtn roads, twisties, etc.).
As MAXCADDY stated, many private label brands are produced by a handful of manufacturers but the one's I've mentioned are not made by others and rebranded. It is recommended that when changing pads, you should change rotors as well because the friction material from the old pads is embedded in the surface of the rotors. You can scuff them in attempt to remove the residue but you can't really get it out and as a result the effectiveness of the new pad material is compromised. It is essential to change rotors when changing compounds or manufacturers.
Our cars are High End machines that deserve the best service we can provide them, so it makes sense to spring for the new rotors when changing to new pads. Just my Humble Opinion. Cheers.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,440 Posts
Many have been happy with Akebono ceramic pads. They are very much dust free. Have on all four corners on mine and very happy and the wheel are always clean of brake dust.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Next question which I am not sure I got the answer is I have a standard non-performance 2007 SLK280 so would these work? Front and rears.

More Information for AKEBONO EUR779

More Information for AKEBONO EUR872

But there if I have a brake sensor these will not work? I dont think slk280's have brake sensors do they? I imagine the AMG 55 or something probably does. How can I tell if I do so I don't buy the wrong pads?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,440 Posts
You can get the Akebono from a Napa store and the brake pad wear sensor will still work, they should come with a new sensor. AS you will find in many posts the sensor is only on the right front wheel. Thy have pads for front and rear and yes they will work on your non-performance 280.

·
Registered 2007 SLK280
15 Posts
You can check application on tirerack.com. The Akebono's come with a new sensor (right front) and anit-vibration grease in the box with the pads, along with bedding instructions. You might want to do some research to discover the testing results of various pads and compounds to get the ones best suited to your needs. Most brand websites have info available you need to make an informed decision.
Happy motoring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.