Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
FWIW, I've used Mer for many years, including the years when we had a Diamond Black VW. Still use it on the SLK, put some in the wash bucket..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to be in the AD business specializing in paint repair. Once your car paint surface is free from impurities (clay bar is good for that), I suggest using a product from 3M called Imperial Hand Glaze. It's a pain in the ass to work with but the results are phenomenal. After that, you can apply your final polish or wax. One that I have had great success with is Connoissuer's Choice Satin Creme. Black is hard to work with but that is one formula for success I've had. Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
As said before, clay the car first, and then use a polish called Poorboys Black Hole. It's amazing. Remember to then seal it with a good wax. Collys 476 will do the trick for 6 months!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dodojuice need for speed does the full clean ,shine and wax in one bottle !
hi mate is this a quick wax as i am looking for a quick wax for winter as i always tend to rush when its very cold out side so was looking for some thing that i can wash the car then spay a wax on with a quick buff
live in sunny hull also :)

·
Long Time Member
3,631 Posts
hi mate is this a quick wax as i am looking for a quick wax for winter as i always tend to rush when its very cold out side so was looking for some thing that i can wash the car then spay a wax on with a quick buff
live in sunny hull also :)

I see fella in that case I would recommend very highly Meguiars ultimate wash and wax anywhere.

I have used various detail sprays over the years but this stuff blows the pants off them.it leaves the bodywork clean and very glossy and the paintwork is very slick to touch. it is also good on the glass.

Halfrauds in hull stock it :laugh:

the need for speed needs to be put on with a applicator pad and buffed off , however as a base coat to be toped up by ultimate wash and wax you will not got far wrong for winter

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
morning mate many thanks for that will go and get some this week hoping to wash and polish this week before i go back to work, many thanks again pal

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Hi all

I was thinking when coming across this post , Are you polishing the paint or are we really polishing the clear coat on top of the paint finish ?? & if your are polishing the paint you have rubbed too hard , Also if you are based in the UK have a look at the web site "cleanyourcar" they seam to have the full range of products.

Cheers

Andy

·
Banned
801 Posts
You need to make a distinction between a polish and a wax. In cases of a wax, the distinction needs to be made between a true wax like a carnauba and a synthetic wax like Nu Finish. Further distinctions need to be made regarding things like glazes.

But you asked about a polish. The best polish is this:

3M Perfect-It Machine Polish, 1 Quart, 06064

Most of the hoopla about various "waxes" is hype or propaganda. The really important thing is using soft wash mitts, proper car soap, and to clay surfaces to remove embedded dirt that ruins a finish. After that, you can use any product you like to shine the surface.

I use Consumer Report's recommendations, and my choice is Black Magic Liquid Car Wax, a synthetic wax. It last a long time and gives a great shine!

On word of caution using a polish. Applying by hand is the best way, but it is labor intensive. Using a machine polisher can make the job easy, but it requires some skill few people have mastered. Stick to using your hands.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
A great source of information on this including washing your car properly is the Junkman2000 clips on YouTube, he's great.

I went down the Dual Action Polishing Machine route and found it fairly easy use. Just need to be careful which polishing grades and applicators you choose.

Instead of a clay bar, I have used one of the new clay sponges to good effect, lasts longer.

Although you don't need a machine to apply a sealant or a wax in my view, by hand is easy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts