Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that people use many different wash/wax products for their SLKs. I couldn't find an updated thread on what folks are using now. My 2012 has a great shine on it (j just bought it) so I just want to wash it and eventually wax it. I assume it has clearcoat.

What do y'all recommend for these babies for wash & wax?

Chamois or towel?

ThankYou!!! :grin:
Dianne :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I see that people use many different wash/wax products for their SLKs. I couldn't find an updated thread on what folks are using now. My 2012 has a great shine on it (j just bought it) so I just want to wash it and eventually wax it. I assume it has clearcoat.

What do y'all recommend for these babies for wash & wax?

Chamois or towel?

ThankYou!!! :grin:
Dianne :wink:
Hi Diane,

I use Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax. Great stuff.

Yes it has clearcoat. To keep your SLK shining I recommend using a micro fibre towel to dry down after washing it.

Do you use 2 buckets when washing your car? One with shampoo and one with water so you can rinse your micro fibre sponge or glove off after each time you wash a bit. It keeps your shampoo from getting dirt and grit in it.

The less swirls you get on your clearcoat = more shine :tu:

Happy cleaning :laugh:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Definitely use a microfibre drying towel, I have just started using one in preference to a chamois leather and it was a revelation! Does the job in a third of the time and seems to shine the car at the same time.

I also use Meguiars products for cutting, polishing and waxing and Zymol Auto wash for the washing, this is ph neutral and does not contain any waxes.

long may your car sparkle :grin:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax. Great stuff.

The less swirls you get on your clearcoat = more shine :tu:

Happy cleaning :laugh:

Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax is also "Matt safe".

I had been using another well known product that was supposedly safe for use on Matt but the finish was starting to look "a bit too shiny".

Maguiars has taken off the excess "shine" and put back the "proper moody matt look".

The "sparkle" in the base coat is still visible as it should be which makes the car positively "shimmer" in a half-light :grin: (I've tried to photograph this effect but I just don't have the talent).

Two buckets and micro-fibre drying is the way to go. 0:)

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
This might sound like blasphemy but I used washing up liquid over the weekend. Hear me out for the method to my madness.

I wanted to have a nice clean and shiny car but I don't want to spend a weekend a month just detailing it. There are lots of positive reviews about Klasse all-in-one paint sealant which seems to last quite long (6-9 months). Since my car lives in the garage and I don't drive it a lot (I commute by train), I can probably stretch this out to a year.

I wanted to get the car as clean as possible so that the sealant can bond properly so I decided to try claying. Since I was doing this I didn't see any point in using an expensive shampoo as the aim of the first wash is to just get all of the mucky surface dirt before the clay gets to the ingrained crap.

So I diluted a small squirt of Fairy in a bucket of hot water and then had a separate bucket of hot water for rinsing the sponge (two bucket method). The car looked clean enough after the wash but the amount of visible dirt that the clay lifted was amazing. I could also feel a huge difference when running my hand over a clayed area (almost like glass) and it still feels just as soft after applying the Klasse.

The whole process (wash, dry, clay and seal) took me about 2.5 hours but it means for the next year my car should stay looking good with just an occasional hose rinse (without any shampoo) and drying with a microfiber towel.

The only problem is that now that I've had a taster of how good the car CAN look, I'm thinking about correcting the clear coat next time and getting rid of the orange peel.....

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's a bit early for me. I need to get the side skirts replaced (carbon would be nice), the bumper grill to fit properly, and I'm not sure about the wheels, might go matt black + some kind of contrast.

However, I'm not allowed to spend any money until I've fixed the SRS problem so ROTM will have to wait :crying:

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,737 Posts
It's a bit early for me. I need to get the side skirts replaced (carbon would be nice), the bumper grill to fit properly, and I'm not sure about the wheels, might go matt black + some kind of contrast.

However, I'm not allowed to spend any money until I've fixed the SRS problem so ROTM will have to wait :crying:
you can enter every month you know.
This way you can get the voters familiar with your car

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts

You don't have to wait... it's free to enter and, if you don't win, you can still enter again next month (and the month after, etc., etc.)... :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Agree with all above, I use Meguires products, but I dry my car with an electric leaf blower. Fast, removes water from wheel lugs, etc, and NO SCRATCHING whatsoever. When I'm finished drying, I blow the dust, pollen etc out of the interior! Works great, and fewer micro fibers to wash>:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got Meguiars wash/wax, new mitt, micro towel magnet and a new bucket just for my girl. Don't think she needs a clay bar.

Does a clay bar remove any of the clearcoat? Seems a huge job! What has to happen after you clay bar the car? (other than passing out from all the work). I assume clay barring is a once a year thing. She owns the garage and is only driven for pleasure.

;) Dianne :D

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,737 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Got Meguiars wash/wax, new mitt, micro towel magnet and a new bucket just for my girl. Don't think she needs a clay bar.

Does a clay bar remove any of the clearcoat? Seems a huge job! What has to happen after you clay bar the car? (other than passing out from all the work). I assume clay barring is a once a year thing. She owns the garage and is only driven for pleasure.

Good purchase.

After you have washed the car, clay bar takes off any remaining old sealant or wax. It's a good way of preparing the clearcoat for some new sealant or wax.

Clearcoat does a good job of protecting your colourcoat, but it's a good idea to protect it with either a layer of wax (say every 6 months) or sealant (say every year). Increases the shine too.

If you don't fancy doing the clay bar, still put some wax on to keep it looking great and protected after you have washed it (every now and again, at least every 6 months). Easy to do and lots of good products available, including Meguiars.

Happy cleaning.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The club had a pro detailing shop run us through washing our cars and they emphasized pressure washing before soaping. The suggested any good quality soap that will not strip wax is ok. A synthetic chamois not leather with a micro fibre towel for final dry was recommended.
They also made the point that at least twice a year before we clay bar the car before waxing. I had never done it before and as blown away by how much embedded dirt there was in the paint. You can feel the difference after doing it and it is so simple and cheap.

·
Registered
134 Posts

As a clay virgin, I was worried about 2 things; 1) that I would do it wrong and mess up the paint finish 2) that it would take ages to do. Both of these concerns were unfounded.

1) Watch the video that Jeff posted. As long as you use enough lubricant then the clay won't stick. I started off using far too much of the stuff before moderating it as I got more used to it. By the end, I was able to use very light "quarter squirts" of the detailing spray to keep it wet.

2) It's a fairly small car and the roof is easy to reach (for me, although I'm quite tall) so it's always going to be quicker than doing a bigger car. I would equate the time to clay as being similar to how long it would take if you were doing a regular wash but with a palm-sized sponge and it doesn't take any more effort than washing.

In total it took me about 2.5 hours to do the lot (first wash 30 mins, clay 1 hour, Klasse all-in-one 45 mins, 15 mins lost in there for a cup of tea). I did it all in one go because I wanted to get it done with but since you have a garage, you can do it in several stages.

I thought of the time spent claying and sealing as an investment. I spent about 2 hours to do it but my washes for the next few months are going to consist of turning the hose on 2 minutes then going for a 5 minute drive to get the water off versus a 30 minute wash each time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advice about watching the video and also your experiences with claying. It sounds more intimidating than it is, apparently! I notice that when it rains here the water just rolls off the car. After I bought it a few weeks ago I drove it home in the rain. Fully expected to have to wash it to remove water spots but the car was clean as a whistle. I've got the Meguiars wash & wax. She's small but keeps me busy :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts