Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The corner flap on the left side was obviously out of adjustment and ended up point-first into the roll bar as the shelf flipped up. Subsequently the shelf didn't rotate to the full upright position. The top caught it as it went into the trunk and bent it. It didn't fold it or anything. It's just not flat anymore.

I'm confident that a machine shop can straighten it back out but before I tear into it I'd like to know if anyone has ever removed theirs. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello. I had a similar problem with my 2001. The flap on the passenger side didn't fold as it should and hit that roll bar, bending some things. I removed that flap and it's workings and found that a small cable that makes that flap move had worn out and snapped. I happened to have enought doo-dads & gizmos in my garage to re-engineer that little part. It now works great and the flap moves as it should, but my hat shelf is not sitting properly. It's not bent horribly, but still...I'm probably not much help to you but maybe we can solve this together and both benefit!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Heinzen. It actually straightened the hook on the end of the cable and popped it off. The cable is still intact but I don't know if the spring mechanism on it is damaged. Anyone know how to tell/test?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Spring Mechanism..

Your spring mechanism should be fine. Mine did that same darn thing...bent the "S" hook and popped off. Just reconnect that "S" hook to it's proper spot and crimp it closed with needlenose pliars. I did that with mine and so far it's been working great. I do, however, keep a close eye on it when I am opening and closing the top just in case! The dealer may have thet little spring mechanism/cable thing but I haven't checked with them yet. Hope this helps!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,078 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.