Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP PLEASE!!!! :tazz:

I have replaced my gas cap twice and I keep having problems with it getting stuck on the filler tube and I keep getting the check engine light too... :confused:

I talked to the parts guy at MB who confirmed I had the correct cap, but he stated that my filler neck might be bent some how... the tabs or the neck itself... could someone please help me with this problem... I really need to fix this so I can get on with my life...LOL :biglaugh:

BTW, it has been like this since I got it, the filler cap had just been replaced prior to me getting the car.

Thanks in advance for your help! :hail:

Rick

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Perhaps a photo of the fuel filler neck (gas cap off) may help other R170 members evaluate the integrity of the aforementioned part.

Reactions: DarkSithSLK

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230 Over 100,000 miles!!!
2,093 Posts
errrr...I took for granted my 2000 cap would work on it.

Wonder if the 1999 and 2000 model numbers are the same gas cap???

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hmm - that's a damned good question! PM me your VIN and I'll see if there's a different part number. I don't even begin to know the R170 well enough to guess!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow guys, I really did not realize how involved this issue was... I will PM my vin tonite, I dont have it with me here at work. Bummer!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when I bought the car, the previous owner (my father in law) had just replaced the cap, I had him to buy another one when I continued to have the CEL come on...also, the MB dealership confirmed that both were the correct part number... its on the cap stamped into the metal... they did say that this is the second part number for the same part that MB has produced... kinda weird?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
uk-c200, I see theat there are other parts that could be going wrong that I have to check... thanks for the diagram!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hmm, so SLKMan's VIN brings up different parts and diagrams, as attached! You had to know this would not be simple!

Rick, do PM your VIN - I used a generic '99 VIN, so it's possible yours is not different. Sorry about the JPEG's, but the VIN prints out on the parts list! :p

Attachments

·
19,407 Posts
Is there any other code thrown out by the OBD? (that may have triggered the CEL light)

I'm just guessing that the CEL warning may not be from the fuel filler cap as the cap itself and the metal neck of the fuel filler looks OK in the photos.

Have you driven the vehicle after placing the new gas cap? CEL may not disappear right away. Vehicle need to be driven for a while (sometimes 30 minutes) before the CEL disappears.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not had the codes checked... I dont own a reader yet... the cap does not fit properly.... there is NOT a tight fit / seal ... does this make sense?

·
19,407 Posts
... the cap does not fit properly.... there is NOT a tight fit / seal ... does this make sense?
Yes it does. I guess the only way to find out is get together with Brent (SLKman) and see what exactly is causing a new gas cap not to fit properly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.