Mercedes SLK World banner

How many wheels have been damaged since buying an SLK/SLC?

• Three.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Five.

• Six.

• Seven.

• Eight.

• I'm really unlucky. More than Eight,

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading members posts I get the impression that we are having a high incidence of this nature.
So just how bad is it for us?

This poll is for SLK/SLC only, not your other cars.

Since buying, please vote for the number of wheels that you have repaired.
Please include for all SLKs that you have owned.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would rate the survivability of my R172 rims as above average (amg 18s). The low car weight helps but the low profile is always going to be an issue.

The worse I've had was a w219 CLS550 on 18s that went through 3 rims in 2 years.

·
Super Moderator
11,849 Posts
Lucky I guess, but none (knock on wood). But I''ve only put about 20K on Schwarzie and most are highway km.

BUT original rims (AFAIK) and about 75K KM.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I voted for 4 bent rims in the poll. Have repaired one rim, re-ordered a new one to replace another that a shop deemed unrepairable, and now with 3 newly bent ones, I just gave up and ordered new set... hoping to start from scratch again... A combination of low profile 19" rims and crappy pot-holed roads in Boston and its surrounding towns just exacerbate things for me. We sure pay a lot of taxes in MA but I don't see it ever translate to good properly maintained roads here... sucks...

·
Registered
408 Posts
I put new Michelins on my car a little while back and left the shop late at night. It was dark and when I hit the freeway I was doing 140 KPH. Not a word of a lie, there was a freaking concrete block of some type in the road. It appeared out of no-where. I smoked it. I mean, I hit that SOB so hard I figured broken belts or a rim would be the least of the damage.

Guess what? No damage. Nothing. Brand new tires with 5 km's on them. No bent rim. No nothing. I was a lucky man and there was nothing I could about it. As soon as I saw it, I hit it. It still hurts to think about it.

·
AND MABEL
14,203 Posts
I just know that writing this will probably be the kiss of death and that the next pothole I hit will destroy one :frown:, but I've hit some pretty serious potholes over the 100k+ that I've put on Mabel and on more than one occasion thought I must have damaged the rim, but no, so far the AMG wheels have withstood all that has been thrown at them. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just know that writing this will probably be the kiss of death and that the next pothole I hit will destroy one :frown:, but I've hit some pretty serious potholes over the 100k+ that I've put on Mabel and on more than one occasion thought I must have damaged the rim, but no, so far the AMG wheels have withstood all that has been thrown at them. :smile:
I thought the same when posting the poll! :|

You don't get them, but your followers do :wink: Bala. Pitlochry...

·
Super Moderator
25,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think one of the down sides to pressure monitoring systems is folk rely on them.
The set on the 55 does not monitor/indicate the actual pressure but looks for a quick pressure drop.

If a tyre had a slow leak it won't pick it up.

We are supposed to check pressure every trip.
I just inspect, unless 'playing'.
But I do a weekly check.

Good condition tyres an aide to not destroying rims.

About time they did a study on the cost to the economy of poor roads and parking.
I have a feeling it is higher than they'd expect.
Just like the clock changes have finally been shown to cost us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts