Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want to learn what's a 'nid de poule' (potholes ?) in french, just pay a visit to Belgium . You'll see what does mean holes in the road track. We probably have the best examples in the world. And yet paying an incredible amount of taxes to get the right of putting a car on the road.
Just an example : my SLK costs me EUR 2,478 to get the licence plate (once during car's life) and I pay EUR 405,85 as 'tax to circulate' each and every year..These are related to the horsepower of the car and the level of CO2 emitted, depending of the region. Dutch region, on the north of Brussels does claim for lower taxes than the French speaking region !
Do not imagine what would cost an AMG !>:D

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,078 Posts
Reason I 'liked' your post :- YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Can't say about the License plate, not bought new since 1998, but our road taxes are ranked in a similar manner to yours.
Bit lower in price though.
And road tax is not spent on keeping the roads in good order, either.

Take comfort in being amongst the many.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
If you want to learn what's a 'nid de poule' (potholes ?) in french, just pay a visit to Belgium . You'll see what does mean holes in the road track. We probably have the best examples in the world. And yet paying an incredible amount of taxes to get the right of putting a car on the road.
Just an example : my SLK costs me EUR 2,478 to get the licence plate (once during car's life) and I pay EUR 405,85 as 'tax to circulate' each and every year..These are related to the horsepower of the car and the level of CO2 emitted, depending of the region. Dutch region, on the north of Brussels does claim for lower taxes than the French speaking region !
Do not imagine what would cost an AMG !>:D
Ha yes when I used to tour motorbikes across Europe you didn't need a border sign to know when you had crossed from France to Belgium. I think the British roads are as bad now. Great country you have though!

My AMG is £500 a year.

·
Registered 2008 SLK350
2,266 Posts
Consider yourself lucky.
Here I have to pay a special tax, called BPM when I buy a car. To give you an idea, for my SLK 350 if I've bought that new, this tax would have been € 22619.......
And after that comes VAT, so yes we pay tax over tax.......
Oh yes, and then comes the annual roadtax to the amount of €734.
And did I already mention that Dutch gas prices are the highest in Europe? Mainly because of, it gets boring, taxes.
Man I'd swap places with you anytime!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
In the UK, there's a benefit to having a '55 that was first registered prior to 23 March 2006... the annual road tax is then only £295, not the £500 that @davest4s (and others) pay! :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
In the UK, there's a benefit to having a '55 that was first registered prior to 23 March 2006... the annual road tax is then only £295, not the £500 that @davest4s (and others) pay! :D :D
Unlike button please :laugh:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
It's called a luxury tax around here. I guess those not having the "luxury" of owning a vehicle are free to ride their horses down the highway on their way to work.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
It's called a luxury tax around here. I guess those not having the "luxury" of owning a vehicle are free to ride their horses down the highway on their way to work.
Former Luxury Car Tax (USA only):

"The luxury car tax was a federal tax imposed on cars with prices above a certain level between 1990 and 2002. Despite its name, the luxury car tax applied to all cars that were eligible because of price, including expensive sports cars and more traditionally "luxurious" vehicles designed for comfort and prestige. The luxury car tax did not apply to trucks or SUVs, regardless of their prices. The luxury car tax expired in 2002 and, as of 2012, has not been renewed or reestablished."

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
I've been pissed since 2002 for no reason, apparently.
Partially replaced by Gas Guzzler Tax (again with exceptions :frown: )

"Basics
The U.S government introduced the Gas Guzzler Tax as a part of the Energy Tax Act. The tax was introduced to tax the purchase of inefficient vehicles at the same time that Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards were introduced. The Gas Guzzler Tax applies only to vehicles classified as cars, as opposed to light trucks. Since 1991, cars with a combined fuel economy rating under 22.5 mpg-US (10.5 L/100 km; 27.0 mpg-imp) miles per gallon have been subject to the tax. Light trucks, which includes virtually all sport-utility vehicles, pickup trucks and vans, are not subject to the tax.

Criticism
The primary criticism of the tax is that it does not apply to light trucks. As a result, relatively few vehicles are subject to the tax. When the tax was first introduced, light trucks were viewed as primarily work related vehicles. With the shift towards consumer uses for SUVs and pickups, the original rationale for exempting trucks is considered invalid by critics of the current tax law."

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
You guys are lucky! in Taiwan, I need to pay $2200 USD for the registration tax for my 2006 SLK 55 every year, plus an additional $400 road tax every year!
I also have to pay a combined $1000 USD for my 1995 C36 every year as well!
Forget about the original sales tax +import tax + luxury tax already on the cars when purchased.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You guys are lucky! in Taiwan, I need to pay $2200 USD for the registration tax for my 2006 SLK 55 every year, plus an additional $400 road tax every year!
Ouch!

Does that make your car more valuable (because only the rich can afford to keep such a car on the road) or less (because the high running cost means people keep away)?

A few years ago when petrol prices were particularly high in the UK, you almost couldn't give Jeep Grand Cherokees away because of the high annual road tax (about £500/year) and poor fuel economy.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,048 Posts
Does that make your car more valuable (because only the rich can afford to keep such a car on the road) or less (because the high running cost means people keep away)?
It's complicated, and depends on the car, but in most cases the answer is the car is worth more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts