Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted something a little more captivating than to just say I've thoroughly enjoyed the oh so guilty and all consuming, and even, dare I say it, sometimes fanatical pleasure of owning and driving a 6 speed '05 SLK 350 for quite a few years now, and been on this forum for most of that time, but only as a visitor until recently, as some have been aware when, in answer to a posted question about the differences between the two, I politely and respectfully insisted that driving it with a stick was the only way to truly experience the real personality of the car, as it was meant to be experienced, and surprisingly enough there were actually more than a few out there (so far, none of whom I know of who have actually done the A/B comparison on the road), who have just as politely and respectfully taken the exact opposite position, which let me know it was time to leave my guest status behind me, but I don't know--it took me a whole summer on the other side of the country to find the one I've got, and God forbid I start creating enough converts out there to drive up the bidding the next time I'm in the market!

So anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Now the question I had. Does anyone know how to remove the gas flap? I know it's all one piece and this shop I have painting my bumper wants it to color match with. Really appreciate it, and thanks for stopping by.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,308 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

owner's and maintenance manuals great R171 info:

later year owner's/maintenance/comand manuals, top right in the link below:
Bill's Den: Documents

your brochure:
http://www.ragtop.org/mbbrochures/index.html

mods you should do:
smarttop

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

clear or tinted side markers
shorty antenna
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
carbon fiber on the C pillars
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car).

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Hi SLK_Meister! Welcome to the forum! I hope you can get a good colour match for your bumper. I don't have info on removing the gas tank filler flap but here is the info I have learned on paint. I have a 1999 230 that has suffered some pretty bad rock chips. Several are serious enough to have compromised the clear coat. (You probably already know that all modern cars have paint applied in two steps - colour coat and then clear coat over that to provide shine and durability). I had two spots over the size of a quarter peeling on the right windshield pillar. I decided to try to fix this myself and was able to get an EXACT match for the colour of my car by giving the body shop supply both the colour code AND the VIN number. When paired with the proper clear coat, you can't tell the difference in the old and new except for the amount of shine on the new. I painted using two steps, colour coat and then clear coat. I'm not suggesting you paint the bumper yourself - only that the information is available to a shop to get the formula needed for the match.
Anyhow. Sorry to be so long winded - Good luck with the body work!
Happy Driving?
Rory

·
97,308 Posts

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,994 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

We are a group of SLK'ers who meet for drives, & lunches. We encourage you to join us. We are meeting today @ 10:30 & leave at 11:30am. We are also on Facebook and also list our events here on SLKWORLD. Check out the events section here under Calif. We also have an email list we send out detailing the events. Shoot me an email or call me. We do have a few SLKs that are manual transmission too. Thank you Don

https://m.facebook.com/groups/135167719884652?ref=bookmarks

http://www.slkworld.com/u-s-california/342410-sacramento-valley-slk-enthusiasts-5th-year-anniversary-road-trip-may-21st-saturday-2016-sacramento-ione-galt.html

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for all the good wishes and especially all the helpful suggestions and advice about my question.

Apparently, color matching is the final piece of the puzzle when it comes to the magic that paint and body shops do, taking environment and exposure into account from the time it leaves the factory, paint code and VIN are not enough by themselves so what I ended up doing was just taking the car over there.

Lets see what happens...

·
97,308 Posts
please use the 'quote' button at the bottom of anyone's post you wish to reply to or reference otherwise we do not know who you are talking to :D

or

Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts