·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,765 Posts
hmmmm there are no more shuttles Daniel

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I held my kids to the window

and we watched the last shuttle mission to the ISS pass by, and the eventual separation as the large bright dot became two increasingly separated smaller bright dots. I doubt they will even remember it, but i always will. I stayed in to watch the launch of the 1st shuttle. aand , yes, i remember Neil and Buzz landing on the moon. they wheeled the school telly into class and we all crammed in to watch it in glorious black and white.

:nerd:

·
Registered
281 Posts
They will have to give British Airways a call - think of the extra seats, could also act as a lifeboat :)
I wonder given the shuttle has wings how much of its own weight it carrying given this configuration. I have often wondered whether the two can part company in flight (intentionally of course). Maybe someone out their knows the answer. Great pic would love to see it for real.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
If you have the opportunity to visit Kennedy Space Center, don't pass up the shuttle Atlantis option. My wife and I were lucky to watch one of the last shuttle launches from a 2nd floor deck at a bar in Cocoa Beach. Even at that distance, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Maybe being on my 3rd cocktail had something to do with it.... nahhhh.... it was the shuttle! :smile:

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
They will have to give British Airways a call - think of the extra seats, could also act as a lifeboat :)
I wonder given the shuttle has wings how much of its own weight it carrying given this configuration. I have often wondered whether the two can part company in flight (intentionally of course). Maybe someone out their knows the answer. Great pic would love to see it for real.
That's how early approach and landing tests were done Robin. Flew it up 'piggy back' and then set it free from the mothership.

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
I seem to recall one being present at an Internaltional air tattoo in the uk many years ago.
I didn’t go to the show that year but remember standing in the back garden at my parents house and watching it fly over on its way back to the states.
I think I was only about 14 at the time so a good 35+years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts