Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Last summer, I bought a 98 r170. Had some overheating issues which you all helped me and my boyfriend work through. The car hasn't been driven most of the colder months, but I started it from time to time just because.

So yesterday, hot day here, went out and started her up. A little sluggish at first, but did turn over the first time. I put the top down, drove around, put the top up, put it down, put it up, put it down, ..... several times while out and about. NO problems.

Today, went out, put the top down, ran my errand.... when I got to the place where I needed to lock up the car, I tried to put the top back up and it would not go. Nothing - no sounds. The light on the switch flashes as I'm trying. No apparent fluid leak around that area in the trunk.

I was playing with the lock on the trunk, so I don't know if that has anything to do with this problem or not. My trunk lock seems tricky, probably I'm just not that familiar with the car.

Am I missing something here? I did read through the pdf documents posted here, and I did read through other forums.

Go easy on me. I got through the last bit of trouble because I had my boyfriend to help with, but sadly, he passed away in December and I am totally helpless with mechanical issues. I don't even know anyone that I can ask to help me to put it up manually.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
18,020 Posts
As it was "sluggish", I would suggest you killed the battery

"The car hasn't been driven most of the colder months, but I started it from time to time just because."

because it never had a chance to fully charge back up (35-30 mile highway drive).

Get it professionally load-tested but in all likelihood, you need a new battery.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,011 Posts
after battery test or new battery if still flashing, see this thread

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the battery was the issue, wouldn't I have seen this YESTERDAY when I was driving around and putting it up and down every place that I stopped?

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,774 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Agree with the other comments about the battery after so long standing.
If you have a charger, put it on slow/trickle charge rather than rapid/boost as this is better for the battery.

The roof consumes a lot of power. You had it open and closed a lot on that first outing, but if you didn't go far then you likely drained the battery.

Do not play with anything else for now, until you confirm battery, or not.

Not sure on the 170, but you may need to resync the windows after reconnecting the battery, or roof may not work.
Dead easy. Windows all the way down together. All the way closed and hold for a few seconds (may hear a faint click).

Let us know the outcome.

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,774 Posts
If the battery was the issue, wouldn't I have seen this YESTERDAY when I was driving around and putting it up and down every place that I stopped?

Maybe not, as you were helping the battery by having the engine running.
But eventually, there would not be sufficient power unless you were doing a long run.
Maybe 50 miles, or even more.

·
105,011 Posts
bottom line...if you have no idea how old battery is, then it is the battery :D

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,774 Posts
Once you eliminate the battery, here are some pointers.

ROOF R170:

SDS scan is best starting point.
If you do not have access to SDS, some fixes are quite simple.
For the roof to work it has to pass several safety features.

Including, but not limited to:
Wheel speed sensor.
The blind in the boot has to be in place.
The door windows must lower.
The rear quarter windows must lower.
The roof catches in above the windscreen must unlatch.
The boot must open.
The battery must be in top condition (best having the engine running when playing).
The hydraulic fluid must be at the correct level.

Before agreeing to work, try working through our diys if you cannot get the SDS scan.
(MB Indy will charge between £40- 100 for this).

There may also be some videos:

Some fixes are very easy, others are more technical.
It is well worth working through those lists before committing to work.

·
105,011 Posts
mb 2 year battery $160

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
18,020 Posts
And if you are probably going to let it sit as in the past, you should invest in a trickle charger like a Ctek

or BatteryTender

I have both and both do the job (y)

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a few cars that sit most of the year, so I will definitely be investing in a trickle charger!

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,774 Posts
Thanks, and thanks for the sympathy as well. I literally don't know anybody in this state where I moved to. I take care of my 90 year old dad, so it's just me and him and I don't see him being able to help me get the roof up manually. lol
Sometime a good neighbour/passer by will step up.

Might even find an NC member who would help. SLKers are usually a sociable bunch.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sometime a good neighbour/passer by will step up.

Might even find an NC member who would help. SLKers are usually a sociable bunch.
Great ideas... So I started to the auto parts place for a battery, and downpour closer to my house than to the shop, so I turned around and put a cover on her and will shop for a new battery tomorrow.

I'll let every one know how it goes.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,621 Posts
Can you elaborate on what you were doing g with the trunk lock previously?

And I assume you closed the luggage partition fully?

·
* Registered
2002 SLK32 (x1), 2003 SLK230 (x2)
75 Posts
Double check trunk divider.
Put key in trunk lock and manually lock and unlock the trunk a couple times.
The roof must be able to status the trunk latch/lock - I had one that would get "sticky" if the trunk lock wasn't exercised once in awhile.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts