Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been a long, long time since I have been here. (A collective "OH NO, HE'S BACK!" is heard.) People in my family have stopped threatening to die and other issues that allow more time for fun and frolic have come into being.

My SLK350 is 3 years old now and I finally got my sport suspension option put on after a long time of trying to get it, so after 3 years my 2006 finally is the same as my 2005 I only had for 1,315 miles!

Unfortunatly, I have not had the opportunity to go up against the guy with an SLK55 with my stock sport suspension to see how much better I would do with it. Before my stock sport suspension was on, I did best his 2009 SLK55 AMG by a second as can be seen here under A Stock at: http://autox.carlc.com/results/2009-03-29/ER090329_FIN.HTM.

Please note, #1 and #2 in A Stock were national competitors on R-type race tires, we were both on Mercedes OEM stock tires, however mine are heavier, harder rubber run-flat units. #1 was removed from this month's event as his car was mis-classed.

Before you all start crabbing at me about AMG vs V6, his car had much fewer options then mine, he weighes a good 70 lbs. less then me, and he did not have heavy run flat tires. This was only the second autocross I did with the SLK350 (my previous ones were with mid-engine cars) and this was his first with his SLK55. There is a slight benefit to my car's better weight distribution and the better control of a manual transmission. However, most of the difference in time has to come from my expierence as a racer.

You can see some horrible video of this month's event with my sport suspension here: http://www.youtube.com/user/RacerCub68

I will become a right terror when my ultra light rims and R-Type tires come in, still being in stock class. Everything about my car, down to the paper air filters, is OEM stock. Only a top module, which does not increase performance is there.

6 months of paradise is coming to an end here, and the lamentable top up time looms. However, the SLK is just getting "broken in" with almost 32,000 miles and I'm enjoying it more then I did when I got it new, now that I have the wonderful sport suspension's control and steering feel.

Hope you all are enjoying things as much, and hope to hear from all you guys I miss so terribly, I would love to catch up on the exploits and expierences you have had while I was away.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome back RacerCub68.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
Welcome back! Another Florida member!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys ( & gals!) I appreciate it greatly.

The wheels will not be all that attrative probably, I am buying them for lack of weight not for style as they will only be on the car when I am racing. I need to lighten the Panzer up a bit. ;-) I will send a picture though.

Yes, I did see the rims on the Tire Rack preview. After all I did give them the idea for the preview they use (gave them the rights to it many moons ago in exchange for good prices for a Fiero club, along with rights to use their wheel images on Fiero sides I had for the newsletter. Still have that fax explaining it to them, they had a hard time understanding the concept.) However, they use an AMG-kit SLK side, and it is artifically lowered. It looks off to me, and the rims not particularly interesting. You seem to see the brake more then anything. Next time I do something like that, I will put in a clause that says they must present the model of car I own in it's various, accurate renditions! LOL!

What can I say? I love the look of the original multi-spoke rims!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again guys. I put some video up of me racing. Not as fun a view as say one of Wooly's English countryside clips, but hey!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.